Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. stencil tiled flooring

ZoeGilpin
Cultivating a Following

D.I.Y. stencil tiled flooring

Using the Dulux Renovation Range Floor paint, I gave our laundry floor a realistic tile look using a stencil.

Materials

Dulux Renovation Range primer

Dulux Renovation Range floor paint in 'Vivid White'.

Dulux Renovation Range Floor paint in 'Army Issue'.

Stencil.

Paint Brush.

Small paint roller.

Masking tape.

Tools

Steps

Step 1

PXL_20230523_053239614.MP.jpg

Give the tiles and grout a good clean. I used sugar soap anda microfiber cloth and also my RubberMaid Electronic cleaner. Then go in with one coat of the Dulux Renovation Range primer. Allow to dry overnight/minimum of 8 hours.

Step 2

PXL_20230524_043552153.MP.jpg

Next up is the base colour in the Dulux Renovation Range. I applied 3 coats of the 'Vivid White'. Painting grout lines with a paint brush, and then rolling over the tiles with the small roller. Allowing each coat to dry a minimum of 8 hours in between.

Step 3

PXL_20230527_052839036.MP.jpg

Once the white was completely dry, it was time to stencil! I picked up my stencil from a small business which was the same size as my existing tiles - this was important to me so that the tiles looked more real. There was a lot of trial and error when it came to stencilling. I found that taping down the stencil lightly, then rolling a thin layer of paint worked best. Too much paint left to bleeding. I applied one coat of Dulux 'Army Issue' with the roller and then touched up wherever needed with a small artists brush. 

Step 4

Once completed, we kept off the floors for a few days just to make sure everything was  completely dry and ready to use. It's been almost six weeks since I completed this project and it's looking amazing and I'm so glad I gave it a go!

IMG_2365.jpg

helsbren
Building a Reputation

Re: D.I.Y. stencil tiled flooring

Yes I am looking to do a similar project!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds super-exciting @helsbren! Please keep us updated and let us know if you need any assistance. I can't wait to see your results!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for the share! @Tyro 

Thank you so much! So glad I decided to give stencilling a go ☺️

ZoeGilpin
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Katie! So I saved the outside/not complete tiles until last and cut down the stencil as needed to finish those edge tiles. And then painted by hand to neaten up ☺️

ZoeGilpin
Cultivating a Following

Thank you so much! My patience has almost run out at the end of it 🥴 but so glad I persisted and got the job done!

Puddin
Building a Reputation

Hi   @ZoeGilpin 

I love the floor well done and thanks for putting all the steps and the products. This is something I have thought of doing when I update the laundry (a job of hold till the new year) wasn't sure where to start. 

helsbren
Building a Reputation

@ZoeGilpin Please could you tell me where you got your stencil from?

ZoeGilpin
Cultivating a Following

It's from a small business (Etsy store) @helsbren called My Stencil Lady 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects