Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Could I remove shower tray?

Minitots101
Building a Reputation

Could I remove shower tray?

Hello,

Please advise, is it wise to remove the shower tray?

For the reason to get a plumber to fit new shower screen and secure it to concrete floor?

If I tried to do this  I know I would have to remove the old folding-shower screen door.

Also I would have to remove the first row of tiles sitting on the tray.?

How easy is it to lift the acrylic tray?

Are there screws or nails holding the tray in place?

I look forward to your expert advice🙌

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Could I remove shower tray?

Hi @Minitots101 

Let me answer your shower tray question first, your shower tray is attached either by adhesive or concrete. Removing it will require the tray to be either smashed or cut into pieces. You could get lucky, and the tray might lift off with a wrecking bar, but if it is stuck very well to the ground it will be necessary to dismantle it.

In regards to your new shower, is the shower on the second floor or ground level? If it's on the second floor, it's much better to have a shower tray as it reduces the chances of a leak. If it is on the ground floor, you'll need to think about waterproofing and what the requirements are when installing a shower directly over tiles. 

Your plumber will be able to answer this question for you and they should also be able to provide you with a quote on how much it will cost not only to install the shower but complete the waterproofing and tiling requirements as well. Just remember to ask for a written quote and not just a verbal agreement.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @TedBear for their recommendations. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Minitots101
Building a Reputation

Hello Eric, @Dave-1 and @TedBear 

THANK YOU for that precious advice.

The tray appears to be stuck onto the concrete very securely - So that rules out me doing anything to this.

I'm doing everything on my own, because 3 quotes I've received gave me an "overhaul with a new bathroom" - I only want more space in th bathroom, whihc I now have, and a better shower.

The bathroom is at ground level - But, I will not do anything to the tray now.

But I will get quotes on having Only new shower screen installed.  I'll leave the tray where it is.

Once again THANKS for the great advice🙌

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Minitots101 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your shower installed.

Eric

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @Minitots101 

Ahh bathroom renos.... Dread and things I want to do at the same time.

Using existing parts if you cant aford/timewise to redo a bathroom is a lot better option (One that I intend to do when I fix up my bathroom)

I always worry about waterproofing and disturbing what is already there. Has your shower tray discoloured? 

Looking forward to seeing the photos as you fix up your bathroom.

Dave

Minitots101
Building a Reputation

Hey Dave, Yes... that's right, a resounding "Ahhhhh" bathroom reno's😬 - Your words are very encouraging - I am using whatever existing parts are viable.  I wont attempt plumbing or electrical projects, that's frightening.

I've thought of this mini-reno since 2022. Then I discovered Bunnings Workshop & Experts in Jan. 2023🙌

Hence, taking up the step-by-step expert advice, to start this project on my own, in particular after I got 3 quotes (which were out of my budget range).

Since I started recently, everyday after work & on weekends I roll up my sleeves, and have managed to remove the bathtub, removed the frame holding the tub, removed pipes without damage and have achieved the space I desire in my bathroom (successfully).

Now I just have to get a new shower, redo my floor and add a bench - - Woohooo!!😃🙌  -  Its been fun!! Current.PNGSee pic of what my bathroom looked like.

I'll share a picture of the final look (hopefully will look decent😁)

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Minitots101 

:smile: hahahah Well your existing bathroom is newr then mine but by your description its the same type of deal I want to do. Looking forward to seeing how you go, even if there are mistakes (yes we make them all but a mistake is a learning curve!) because I figure if I see someone elses win or losse I still come away with more knowledge :smile:

Take photos, more then you think you need!

Dave

Minitots101
Building a Reputation

I'll start with saying an extremely gigantic Thank you to you, to Mitchel and the great Eric🤗 - I'm looking forward to sharing some pics with thew team - With the prompt advice given by the team, on the "how to .....", I managed to;-

Remove tiles from my bath tub,

Remove many other things surrounding tub,

Lift tub from setting (it was acrylic) - I gutted the bathroom exactly hpw I envisioned,

Removed the old vinyl flooring,

Even removed the entire shower screen, left the base, now I'm ready to have a new shower-screen put in place.

I have definitely taken many photos and short-videos - Which I will make into a home-movie, to show my kids😊

When I share my pics, please point out any mistakes I've made, so as I correct it.

So far I can share these stages;-  see pics - My Bathroom thus far 😀 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7WKkuFmODU

Great work, @Minitots101; you've made some awesome progress!

Many thanks for the update, and please continue to keep us updated on your project.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects