Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cold, concrete laundry transformed into blue room

itsjobeans
Finding My Feet

Cold, concrete laundry transformed into blue room

When I moved in, my laundry was grey and lifeless. The freezing concrete floor had been painted many times and was flaking off, so I stripped the paint and laid Bunnings square lino sheets. I got a plumber to replace the battered and rusted tub with a smaller, compact version. I painted the walls a bright blue and installed shelving to store laundry items and even ran an extension cord around the window to charge the vacuum cleaner, drill etc. With some DIY curtains made from off-cuts (thanks Mum!) and a couple of cute laundry-themed prints, the makeover was complete!

Materials

Paint stripper (link)

Paint (used 3L of 4L tin)

Lino squares (link)

Shelving

Extension cord (link)

Tools

Paint scraper (link)

Face mask

Roller

Brushes (link)

Stanley knife

Pencil

Tape measure

Steps

Step 1

Put together flatpack shelving and attach securely to right hand wall of laundry (shelves purchased from Fantastic Furniture).

20230118_201347.jpg

Step 2

Stripped paint from floor using paint stripper and paint scraper tool (both from Bunnings).

Floor beforeFloor beforeFloor afterFloor after

Step 3

Move washing machine and all items out of laundry, and paint walls. I also painted some of the floor down to the level where the lino would come up to, so the plain concrete wasn't visible. I painted all walls (two coats) but left mounted shelving the original white.

Painting in progressPainting in progress

Step 4

Once paint has dried, I laid the square vinyl tiles from Bunnings. These were pretty easy to do, and stuck down really well. I trimmed around objects like the hot water heater and sink using the Stanley knife, and ended up returning some squares which were surplus to requirements. I was worried that the lino would look a bit tacky but it actually looks fantastic! It makes the room/floor much warmer and gives it a much-needed modern improvement.

My Mum even used off-cuts from other curtains to make a custom curtain for the laundry window!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cold, concrete laundry transformed into blue room!

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @itsjobeans. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your project.

What a fabulous transformation you've achieved! The laundry looks much more inviting now, and I'm sure it's a pleasure to do tasks within. I love your choice of colour; its vibrance adds to the whole feel.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects