Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bright and colourful laundry makeover

renowithrosie
Building a Reputation

Bright and colourful laundry makeover

Our laundry was by far the most neglected room when we moved into our home last year, but with two young kids it's a room I spend a LOT of time in!

I wanted to transform the room into a space that was bright, fun and practical but not spend a fortune as we have longer term reno dreams that may affect the location of the laundry. I decided to use paint, some simple storage solutions and adhesive tiles for this transformation, and am incredibly happy with the results! 

This laundry has gone from a space I dreaded entering, to now being a room that evokes so much happiness for the whole family - truly dopamine decor! 

Check out the before!

PXL_20230101_235135311.jpg

PXL_20230514_041251222.jpg

PXL_20230514_041256243.jpg

And now!!

PXL_20230729_050628449.jpg

PXL_20230729_050959253.jpg

PXL_20230729_050725942.jpg

  

PXL_20230729_050744781.jpg

PXL_20230729_051017717_exported_52085 (1).jpg

Materials

Tools

Steps

Step 1

The sink:

PXL_20230101_235135311.jpg

  

PXL_20230618_060722637.jpg

PXL_20230729_050725942.jpg

The first thing I tackled was the concrete sink. I love it, but safe to say it had seen better days! 

In this project I gave it a good scrub and painted the outside using Dulux Weathershield in "Winter Fog". Although it's an exterior paint, I chose to use Weathershield as I know it works well on concrete surfaces, doesn't need to be primed in most cases, and it would be fine with water splashes. 

(My next project is going to be refinishing the inside of the sink, but that's for another time). 

Step 2

Wall murals:

PXL_20230521_005017962.jpg

InShot_20230729_202240121_exported_21133.jpg

  

PXL_20230729_050943167.jpg

  

PXL_20230728_045125964.jpg

The back wall of this laundry is asbestos, and in good enough condition to retain, but it does limit the options. I'd previously painted all walls in Dulux wash and wear "Natural white", which made an excellent base for my designs. 

I used a mix of sample pots in various colours, influenced by my 4 year old who loves rainbows. Colours included: Pink Chi, Fairy Wings, Paw Paw, Lemon Delicious, White Box Half, Surf Wash and Tapioca. 

I used a pencil to roughly sketch my design, and got to work first on the large blobs - 2 coats. The next day I painted the leaves and flowers, followed by the yellow dots. 

To draw the rainbow I used a pencil on a piece of string to mark one arch, and then freehand painted the rainbow to the approximate width of 2 X the width my paintbrush bristles. 

I wanted the hand painted look for the yellow stripes, so I marked up the lines in pencil using my spirit level, but didn't tape them. They are imperfect by design and I love it.

Step 3

The cupboards and benchtop:

InShot_20230729_202240121_exported_24733.jpg

InShot_20230729_202240121_exported_34732.jpg

The cupboards and benchtop were a very easy clean up and painting job. I used selleys sugar soap for the clean, and sanded by hand to rough up the surface for priming. 

As we had a lot of Dulux 1step prep already I used this as my primer. 

For the cupboard paint I went with Weathershield again in Antarctica Lake Quarter. I could have used the Dulux Renovation Range cabinet paint as we have used in our kitchen before with great results, however I had the Weathershield already and had already used it to paint the exterior door and liked the colour continuity. 

For the benchtop I used Dulux Renovation Range tiles and benchtops in "Sea foam". 

I cut in with a small paintbrush, and then used a small microfibre roller to lay on and lay off the paint. This gives a smooth even finish. I always do 2 coats.

Finally I added the leaves and spots to tie in with the mural wall. 

Step 4

The floor:

InShot_20230729_202240121_exported_6099.jpg

PXL_20230527_225828610.jpg

PXL_20230729_050744781.jpg

The floor is made of old laminate tiles, and I am happy to keep it that way especially as it's easy to clean in an external laundry. To freshen these up I painted them using Dulux tiles and flooring Renovation range paint in Winter Fog.

The most important part of this job was the clean. I used sugar soap in warm water and a long handled scrubbing brush to scrub off all the grime that had built up over the years. 

After the scrub I gave it a good rinse and mop and then let the room dry fully overnight. 

The next morning I did a quick vacuum for any residual dust, and then got to painting, using the primer and then 2 coats of the grey top coat. I let it dry for at least 8 hours between each coat, and then only walked on it using clean socks each time. Tip for painting flooring is to wear socks and long fitted pants (like leggings) because they don't drag or stick to the previous coat when you are kneeling on the floor. 

I also didn't let anyone walk on the floor for a week, with the exception of the clean socks to do washing. 

Step 5

Splashback:

InShot_20230729_202240121_exported_47099.jpg

There wasn't a splashback behind our sink, which wasn't practical for us. If we decide to move the laundry in future I'll use real tiles, but as an interim solution I picked up these adhesive tiles on sale! It was relatively easy to cut them to fit around the taps and windowsill, a bit of trial and error but a pencil to stencil onto scrap paper worked well.

There were a few bits that lifted under the windowsill where there is a lot of sun, so I used some silicon to secure them in place. 

Step 6

Storage:

InShot_20230729_202240121_exported_42466.jpg

PXL_20230729_050954325.jpg

PXL_20230729_050946887.jpg

The cabinets already in the laundry were decent, but there wasn't anything for long or awkward shaped items. I picked up an excellent iron and ironing board holder which I then mounted to the back of the exterior door. Similarly I mounted the broom and mop to the other door. This keeps the items neat and off the floor, easily accessible and didn't require additional cabinetry or drilling into the asbestos. 

I pre drilled the holes and inserted wall plugs, and then simply attached the fixtures with screws. 

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bright and colourful laundry makeover

Hello @renowithrosie 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us and thank you for sharing your colourful laundry make over.

Your laundry makeover is just swimming in a sea of lovely colours! I love the mural you've painted, for a moment there I thought that you had used oversized wallpaper. But I think the clincher is the freshly painted floor. It just makes everything look new, clean and fresh. Would you mind telling us what kind of budget you set aside for this laundry project?

Again, thank you for sharing such a marvellous laundry makeover.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
renowithrosie
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric,

Thank you for such kind words! It's definitely nerve wracking but exciting to share my first project on here. 

I wanted to work within a budget of about $300 for this project. As I've been working on a number of projects around the house, I have a lot of paint already which reduced my spend, but I'd estimate $400 if I had to buy everything again. I find Weathershield and Renovation Range paints to have excellent coverage and be good value to purchase with multiple projects in mind! 

Thanks, 

Rosie 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Afternoon @renowithrosie 

Improved just a littkle is an understatement! The murals are what caught my eye and follow through the project pics. They have really revitilised the laundry and made it look modern. I look at the painting and seriously wish I had the skill, I can paint but to thinbk outside the square/oval and layer it to give depth just never enters into my head. 

I was about to ask roughly how much it all was :smile: @EricL beat me to it :smile: Really impressed how clean and fresh it feels. You have done a great job. 

Id never worry about putting up any projects or even asking questions. Its how we learn :smile: We are the ones doing the work so we know our mistakes/or "its ok" ish type things on our projects. Ive asked questions about things Id expect mysel;f to know, just to confirm I am on the right path.

Looking forward to seeing more projects!

Dave

renowithrosie
Building a Reputation

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for such kind words and encouragement. It is truly appreciated! 

I will certainly be asking questions soon!! :smile:

Thanks again, 

Rosie 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects