Workshop
Ask a question

Do we need to replace roof beams following water damage?

Voulav
Finding My Feet

Do we need to replace roof beams following water damage?

IMG_0092.jpeg

Hello, we had water leaking into our house from some cracked tiles but the problem has been remedied outside. I just had someone fixing the plaster where the water damage was inside the house and am concerned about the rotten wood that I saw through the roof .  Is it going to be a problem if I leave this as it is, as long as we don’t get any more leaking ? Do I need to get someone to replace the wood in the roof and who do I get if I need to get someone. Thankyou for any advice 

IMG_0093.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: water damge in roof

Hi @Voulav,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

Unfortunately, it looks like you've got a potentially big issue on your hands. I would suggest you contact a licenced builder or engineer immediately to assess the damage. As I believe you've taken a photo of the underside of a roof truss and its adjoining members, it forms a structural element of your home, and the damage should not be taken lightly.

You can find licenced tradespeople in your area using services such as Hipages or Truelocal. 

Please let me know if you would like some further guidance or assistance on navigating this issue.

Jacob

Thankyou for your advice Jacob, I’m so upset by it all, as I’ve had several tradesmen come to look at it in the last few years and it’s  very hard to get help in my country town and I actually asked a roof guy to come and have a look yesterday and they said it doesn’t look like there’s any water coming in anymore but as you said it looks like a bit of work to get it fixed so I will have a call around to see who can come and have a look at it for me. And the pictures are me looking up at the hole in the roof before the plasterer repaired it so  has since been fixed but not the inside of the roof which yes is a vital part of the house. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Voulav,

I'm sorry to hear that this has caused you distress, it's never nice when there's a problem that can't be fixed straight away.

If I can offer some reassurance, it doesn't look like you are under immediate threat of roof collapse as there is still a good amount of material in place. But please, as a matter of urgency have this attended to, I would hate for a "potentially" big issues, to turn into a big issue.

Please reach out if you need further advice.

Jacob

Thankyou so much for your help today. You have confirmed what I was afraid of but as you said it isn’t in immediate danger of collapsing but we need to get it fixed so that’s exactly what I’m going to do. Thankyou again Jacob 🙏

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects