Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which timber floor polish to use?

Phillipa
Finding My Feet

Which timber floor polish to use?

Hi. I’m new at this so hope it goes ok. 
i have just purchased a house that has a hardwood floor throughout. The timber is in great shape but the finish is pretty scuffed, some scratches and worn and stained in the kitchen area. I don’t know what sort of finish it has on it. It will eventually need to be sanded and redone - probably professionally.
However, with a short timeframe to move in and having other quite expensive priorities before the floor (it’s liveable), I’d like to try to brighten it up with something that doesn’t need any prep apart form a good clean and is cost effective.  It doesn’t have to be permanent.
I was looking at the Feast and Watson floor polish to do the job. Could this product hurt the floor in any way?  Or is there something else I could use for this purpose. 
Cheers.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber floor polish

Hello @Phillipa 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about polishing your timber floor.

If your floor has been sealed with a varnish sealer the Feast Watson 1L Floor Polish should work nicely on it. But just to be sure, I suggest testing the polish in a hidden corner of your floor area. Once you've tested the floor polish, you'll have a better idea of what the final result will look like. If you are happy with the finish you can then commit to the entire flooring area.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey Eric. Thanks for that info.  I appreciate your time.  If it’s not finished with a varnish, and I used the polish, what might happen?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @Phillipa 

The floor polish is a water-based product, which means that if you were to apply this to a wax-sealed floor it will form little pools of droplets and not penetrate the floor. However, if whatever sealer was on it has worn away the polish will get absorbed by the wood and not spread out properly. It will not damage the wood as eventually, the polish will evaporate. So it's important to test it on your floor before you begin.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much Eric. I appreciate your time. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects