Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What should I do with a long hallway?

Farleys
Budding Contributor

What should I do with a long hallway?

We've got a really narrow and long hallway in our house. We are looking for some ideas to make it a bit more interesting and hopefully a little less claustrophobic without being too over the top. Don't want to do something drastic like wallpaper or a "feature" wall. Any ideas welcome.

Stephen

KingStreetReno
Experienced Contributor

Re: What should I do with a long hallway?

What are the dimensions @Farleys? Do you have a photo?

Farleys
Budding Contributor

It's about 10m long and only about a metre wide.

Jackson
Super Contributor

Hey @Farleys - I'd be interested to know the type of flooring in the hallway and also what colour the walls are. I'll second @KingStreetReno - can we see a photo?

Isobel
Valued Contributor

If it's dark I'd consider a skylight or two. If that's not possible, then some pendant lights will not only brighten but also create some interest. 

13290d6f39c41d405e81c0ad7c5091db.jpgBondi-Penthouse-13-723x1024.jpgIMG_7615-740645.jpg

I'd also look at having a series of something along the wall - use it as a gallery space. Depending on your interests, something like vintage movie posters, family photos, sketches, etc. 

erinhallwayart.jpggallery-art-hallway.jpg3a34b33aa5f0790d703120fc09f6f2ba.jpg

KingStreetReno
Experienced Contributor

My hallway is currently 8 metres long (soon to be around 11 metres) and we are adding in x 2 skylights and painting it all Natural White by Dulux to lighten it up.

We have also added in pendant lights which look great.

I really like the photo wall suggested by @Isobel 

Farleys
Budding Contributor

Polished timber floor and white walls Jackson, so a bit of a blank canvas at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will investigate skylight options. They look fantastic.  

Kellie
Super Contributor

Wood panelling (wainscoting) might add interest. You would just need a good carpenter or if you are handy you could DIY. 

wains.jpg

wains2.jpg

aly
Super Contributor

I'm with @Isobel on this one - make a gallery out of the space! My family home hallway is lined with old paintings and photographs - adds some character.

Janina_G
Established Contributor

I agree with th photos pictures, A friend of mine broke up photos on one side of family [she is an artist and photographer] so made groups of family at different stages, arranged in differents shapes etc [ wish I had a photo still] and on other side, where painting arranged in hotpotch ways with the smaller lower down and the HUGE OIL up higher, looked awesome

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects