Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What screw to attach timber stud to existing steel frame?

Alex810
Finding My Feet

What screw to attach timber stud to existing steel frame?

Hi everyone,

I plan to build a timber drywall to existing steel frame UPSTAIR but not sure which screw should I use for. I will use 35x70mm treat pine for new frame, current floor is 8mm hybrid.

Plz help me choose which screw for floor stud?
Which screw for vertical stud?
And which screw for ceiling stud?
Any help would be appreciate!!🙏
Thanks All!!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Screw to build timber stud to existing steel frame!

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Alex810. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a partition wall.

You might like to start by reading through this step-by-step guide on How to build a stud wall.

You can use these Buildex Timber or Metal Roof Zips C4 HexHead with Seal M6 x 65mm Bx100, which have a self-cutting head. You'll need to pre-drill your timber frame, and then the screw will cut its own thread into your steel frame. You must locate the steel frame with a stud finder capable of detecting metal to ensure your screws are driven into it. If 65mm is not long enough to penetrate your steel frame, you might need to countersink the screw head into your 35mm thick frame.

When connecting the frame to the floor, you'll likely have another 19mm of yellow tongue flooring under the hybrid flooring before you reach the steel stud.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi MitchellMc,

Thank you for quick response!🙂 Just confuse about the screw for vertical and ceiling studs. Can I use same screw with floor studs? Is there any chance to hit the wire or pipe behind the existing wall?

I try to contact 3 handy man for the job: 1 quote very cheap but never free, 1 quote expensive but not show up on booking date, last one disappear after my call!!🙁 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You can use the same screw for ceiling, wall and floor @Alex810.

When drilling into walls, floors and ceilings, there is always a chance to hit electrical wires and pipes. You'll need a stud finder capable of detecting metal studs, pipes and cables to adequately discover everything within the drilling zones. If anything else is detected apart from the steel stud, you should proceed with caution or employ the services of a qualified professional.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks a lot, MitchellMc!🙏

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects