Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What pond sealer will stick to fibreglass?

Aquaman
Getting Established

What pond sealer will stick to fibreglass?

building a plywood aquarium what fish safe water proof product can be used

What pond sealer can I use that will stick.to fibreglass.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What pond sealer will stick to fibreglass?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Aquaman. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about waterproofing.

There are no waterproofing products that I'm aware of that are recommended for a fibreglassed surface. Once you've wet out the fibreglass with your resin, the fibreglass will be waterproof. Fibreglass resin is typically safe for fish if it has fully cured. It would be best to check with the manufacturer of the resin to confirm its suitability for your aquarium. To colour your resin, you could use resin pigments.

You could try the Crommelin Pond Sealers in the colours, but fibreglass is not a specified surface they can adhere to. 

Let me mention @Jewelleryrescue to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Aquaman @MitchellMc

Firstly  you have your reasons for a  plywood pond base I get that.

But consider buying a plastic tub/ pond shape that you like it will be almost bomb proof  for 40 + years if supported evenly. Drop it in ready to go and  waterproofing method costs  add up.

You can also buy QUALITY pond liner rubber/ plastic  down side  is foldind away excess material folds  created depending on the shape. And the  membrain is puncturable.

Never  use Crommelin pond sealers out doors i used it once and not UV safe I went through hell grinding it of cement bricks to replace the coating as it cracked and pond was like a sieve.  

First the plywood structure needs to be as ridge as  you can get it as any water proofing can crack and fail with movement and over the joins and in the corners needs over lapping bandages / webbing to help reenforce those areas. Treat plywood both sides if outdoors for  longer  life.

The next thing is this out out doors as if is the plywood and frame work needs protection both sides even marine ply.

Options 

Fiber glass and epoxy resins will seal nicly over webbing and ply but long term  sun UV  exposure will break it down over time (10 years)  reepoxy required before break down to save heaps of sanding.  Must acryilc paint will bond onto this but easy to scratch off.  Has some flex.

Bitumous rubber paint will seal over plywood (always add webbing into the corners ) it can cover  fiberglass and use it like a rubber mould build up the skin layers to 1 or 2 mm thick as a minimum. It may not bond 100% to epoxy or fiber glass but water pressure will always hold it in place. Effectivly it makes a  water proof plastic bag with  perfect fit to the pond design.  Not  paint able really and other products wont really stick to it.  Also not 100% UV proof and may need re coating every 5 to 10 years where it is sun effected. highly flexable in case ply moves.

My  favourite water proofing is  cementous paint that is mixed  with water proofing polymers that stops  positive and negative water transfer through the cement paint.  You do the same  thing and webbing to joins  and corners and use a  stiff straw  bristle brush and  paint cemet on in layers 2 to 3 min.  The last  coats add oxide to colour the concrete if desireed or regular  paint, will work or you can tile over the cement base and do any thing.

The finish is gritty like sand because it is  made from sand but you can also finish  with a  smooth pure cement finish , And is sand able with grinder  disc.  !00% UV safe forever,  Not really flexable. But if a settling crack appears simply web over it and re cementous paint a patch,

This  used insde plywood would act as form work almost and will  become very heavy so not movable  later.

Depending what  option suits you we can expand on  details on specific products.  All options fish safe once  cured.   Usually a tank will neeed to be filled  then emptied after a week to wash off any lingering chemicals.

@Jewelleryrescue

No this is for indoors and a marine aquarium not pond outdoors :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects