Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the paint code on this tin of 1/8 Hogs Bristle paint?

FredNerks
Just Starting Out

What is the paint code on this tin of 1/8 Hogs Bristle paint?

1-PXL_20240118_060046358.MP.jpg

This is supposed to be 1/8 Hogs Bristle but it looks too white? How do the codes work? I am not confident that it was mixed correctly. I would appreciate any help.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hi, Can anyone explain the paint code on this tin of 1/8 Hogs Bristle?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @FredNerks. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about paint mixing.

1/8th-strength Hog Bristle would be quite white with very little tint and wouldn't be a common request. It wasn't 1/4-strength you were after, which would be less white? I don't believe there would be any colour cards to reference for 1/8th, but if you've had it mixed up before and can compare them side-by-side, that would be a good indication if this new colour is too white.

The codes work by telling the Paint Expert how to mix the colour. Paint companies do not provide 1/8th formulas, as 1/4 is as low as they go. So, in this case, to achieve the request, they've used the half-strength formula for a 2L can and put it into your 4L can, effectively creating your 1/8-strength Hog Bristle.

If you have any doubt about the mix, I'd encourage you to return to the store of purchase, and I trust they'll be more than happy to take a look at it for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell,

Did you mean to say they used the 1/4 strength for a 2L can? Anyway I did paint a bit on an old1/8 bit of internal window and it is a good match so I am satisfied it is an 1/8 strength. Thanks for your reply. 

regards

Jim (FredNerks) 

Sorry @FredNerks. You're correct; I misspoke as it would have been 1/4 strength into a can that's double the intended size of the formulae, which would give you a 1/8 in the 4L.

Glas to hear it worked out for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects