Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the level of Formaldehyde in Bunnings MDF?

starofbasel
Finding My Feet

What is the level of Formaldehyde in Bunnings MDF?

Where is Bunnings MDF made? What is the level of Formaldehyde in Bunnings MDF. Can I use Smart Primer paint as undercoat?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Formaldehyde

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @starofbasel. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about MDF boards.

Was there a specific "Smart Primer paint" that you were considering using? Typically, it's best to use a stand-alone primer on MDF, not paint with added primer. MDF can be pretty thirsty and readily draws paint into its surface. If you prime separately, it blocks the pores and prevents excessive paint wastage. I recently used Dulux 1Step on some MDF and was impressed with the results.

In Australia, we have a couple of suppliers for MDF board products depending on your location. Our products meet Australian Standard AS/NZS 1859.2:2004 - Fibreboard. They are produced in Australia and manufactured from managed and renewable plantation pine, which is AFS chain of custody certified. 

Formaldehyde emissions meet the E0 standard of <1.0 mg/L when tested in accordance with AS/NZS 4266.16:2004. For more information, please see our supplier's webpages: CUSTOMwood and AlpineMDF.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello Mitchell,

Bunnings in Rockingham WA has the Smart Primer Zinsser performance of oil. Adheres to multiple surfaces.

Is Dulax  better???

Selina

Hi Seline (@starofbasel),

The Smart Primer from Zinsser would be an excellent choice. I just wanted to clarify that it wasn't a paint with primer added you were considering. Dulux is also a premium product, and I trust you'll be happy with either option.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects