Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What are these vents for in 1995 multi-storey house?

Onearmman
Growing in Experience

What are these vents for in 1995 multi-storey house?

On 1995 multi-storey house,

17078680611748185430867609047271.jpg

1.why two vents on each floor ?

2.I could feel cold draft coming in during winter so i just blocked them all. Any potential problems?

3. Got an evaporative air-cond installed and would like to use these vent to release air pressure instead of openning windows(security reason) . Could this be the solution?

Thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What are these vents for in 1995 multi-storey house?

Hello @Onearmman 

Thanks for sharing your question about the vents in your wall. The vents in your wall serve several purposes, first, if there is a gas point on the wall for a gas heater, by law, there must be a cavity wall vent, and a ceiling vent for ventilation. Second, they regulate the flow of air and moisture in your home, blocking them up traps the moisture inside your wall leading to mould infestation.

I don't recommend blocking the vents as they help balance the air quality inside your home. They might also be connected to a whirlybird system on the roof. Others might argue that they don't do anything, but my point is that these vents were placed there for a reason.  

In regards to your evaporative air-conditioning system, I suggest speaking to the manufacturer regarding using these vents to release air pressure. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Onearmman
Growing in Experience

Re: What are these vents for in 1995 multi-storey house?

Thank you Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects