Workshop
Ask a question

How to install strip lighting under stair handrails?

JessJ
Just Starting Out

How to install strip lighting under stair handrails?

Hi, I am wanting to install strip lighting along the underside of stair handrails to offer some light at night. 

I am just not sure how the strip lighting is connected to power. I would think that the cord from the strip lighting would need to run to a power point. However, the cord would then need to run down the wall and into the stairs (the stairs double as storage space and have power points in them).

I have seen strip lighting that is battery operated, however I am unsure about this option either.

Has anyone done anything similar and/or can offer some suggestions?  

I have included photos of the stairs and handrails. IMG-20240318-WA0059.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Strip Lighting Under Stair Handrails

Hi @JessJ,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's great to have you with us.

Like you've said, there are battery operated options such as Lytworx 1m Warm White Battery Operated Or USB Powered Neonflex Light or Click 1m White LED Battery Operated Strip Light which could be used but you would need to find a way of concealing the battery pack in a way that it can still be accessible to change batteries. For this reason, I'm not sure that it's a great option in your situation.

A hardwired option would be much better but would require the assistance of a suitably licenced electrician. They would be able to route the cabling to a switch or integrate it with a smart home system allowing for much easier operation.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any thoughts @Dave-1, @Noyade, @CSParnell

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Jacob

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@JessJ Looking at the photo it looks like your only option is going to be battery operated if you want a need self contained without wires hanging down the wall.

You can get sensor activated ones but what you are going to have an issue with is the battery housing you will want to mount on the back side of the hand rail and then the thin LED underneath and If it is a sensor type the sensor will be on the battery pack.

I would suggest going into to store and having a look there are 3 section one where all the outdoor fairy lights and that are then there is another where the night lights are situated and finally where the kitchen and cupboard lights are situated.

Else if the hand rail is to hard then look to run a long 20m led either side up the stairs on the top side against the wall that way you will get an up light effect on the wall and running the cable down into the cupboard cavity would be more discreet.

Hope that helps

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Evening @JessJ 

Looking at your photo it looks like you have a light switch in the middle and the top. It may be worthwile to get a sparky out and install a hardwired connection that ties in with the switches. 

Second option is you could install triangular light strips along the bottom corner of the steps. I just had a look online and there are a few suppliers you could have a look at, the wiring could be then placed within the steps and to your closest power point.

Sorry I havnt come across any battery powered strip lighting. The battery powered fairy lights would outline the handrails but not light the steps id say.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects