Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Security screen door brush assembly replacement needed

bh039
Finding My Feet

Security screen door brush assembly replacement needed

Hi there, 

I am trying to replace these door brushes for my security door (sliding) (pic1), but I couldn't find any compatible size to replace with? I tried with one of these bunnings(https://www.bunnings.com.au/moroday-mds4-brush-white-door-seal_p4066812), but there are too big to replace with this one. 

Is there any replacement product available for this kind? 

TIA

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-27 at 11.30.52 AM (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-03-27 at 11.30.52 AM (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-03-27 at 11.30.52 AM.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Security screen door brush assembly

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bh039. It's splendid to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about brush door seals.

Sliding security doors have a specific type of brush seal. Readily available brush seals are designed for the bottom of entry doors and typically will have a longer brush section. I've found a few types that might suit your needs on the Raven website. This RP2b looks reasonably close and can be ordered through your local Bunnings store's Special Orders counter. However, although the bristles might be the correct length, the thickness of them will be off. Security door seals have a high bristle count and are quite thick as they compress against a flat surface. Door seals are thin as they wipe across the ground and aren't designed to compress.

I'd suggest you'll be after a brush seal specifically designed for a security door, and I'm unaware of any products that match that description. The seal will also likely be specific to that brand of door. Any indication on the door of the brand?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, 

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I can't find the brand name printed anywhere on the door. This door must be at least 15-20 years old given the age of the property. What are my other options to replace the worn-out brush? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @bh039 

You mentioned that you tried to use the Moroday MDS4 Brush White Door Seal, was it too tall, were the screw holes in the wrong place or did it not fit the slot in the security door? Because the old seal is over 20 years old, it will be challenging to find a similar seal that will fit at the same height. It might be necessary to modify the new seal so that it fits into the existing spot. 

The only other product that might work is the Moroday Black MDS3 Compact Door Seal. It is weather resistant and can be used for both swinging and sliding doors. I suggest bringing your old seal and matching it up with the seals available at the store. 

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the old seal and the new seal side-by-side? This will allow our members to assess the difference between them. We can then make suggestions on how to proceed.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

bh039
Finding My Feet

Hi @EricL, It was MDS5 and neither holes were in the correct place nor the bristles were in the correct length. I almost attempted to drill new holes and thought of trimming the bristles, but that didn't look clean.

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-28 at 9.29.17 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-03-28 at 9.29.17 AM (1).jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @bh039 

Thank you for posting the photos of your old and new seal together. If you wish to trim the brush on the MDS5, I suggest using an aluminium or steel rule as a guide. To get a straight cut, clamp the guide to the brush at the height you want to cut. Fix the brush assembly to a table to make sure it does not move. 

Instead of using scissors, I recommend using a craft knife with a fresh edge on it.  Run the sharp edge of the knife over the clamped brush in a firm fashion. The straight edge of the ruler will guide your craft knife giving you a straight cut.

In order to prevent drill bit drifting, I suggest using a sharp nail and hammer to make a dimple in the aluminium. This will serve as a guide for the drill bit, and you will be able to make a clean-cut hole.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Security screen door brush assembly replacement needed

Hi @bh039 @you try taking the old brush to a local screen door manufacturer in your area, they may have an exact replacement for your screen door.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects