Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Repurposed Christmas tree Part 1 - Garland door arch

Herrenovacation
Having an Impact

Repurposed Christmas tree Part 1 - Garland door arch

This year my Christmas Tree started to collapse, despite my efforts I was not able to keep it together until Christmas day so I decided I would repurpose it. 

I have always wanted a garland door arch but find them not very budget friendly. By repurposing my tree I saved extra waste going to landfill and I got an affordable garland of my dreams. It was super easy to do as well. 

As it was a 6ft Tree make sure you check out the other parts.

Materials

Pool noodles (I used three green ones)

Tree branches 

Cable ties (large)

Fairy lights 

I also had twine aside if I felt it was too flimsy but I didn't need it in the end.

20231209_190739.jpg

Tools

Ryobi utility knife

Steps

Step 1

I did the two sides first, I started at one end of the pool noodle with the tree base branch (larger ones). I pierced the branch hook into the noodle then wrapped and twist tied two leaves at either end of the branch around the noodle to secure.

20231209_191314.jpg

Step 2

Get another branch (I used the next branch up and alternated between the bottom three branches) repeating step 1 layering the branches over each other to create fullness.

20231209_192828.jpg

Step 3

When you get to the end of the noodle you with have to get a small branch and turn it in reverse to cover the bare space.

Step 4

Pierce a hole in the back of the noodle only through to the middle then get a large cable tie and make a loop to hang the garland.

20231210_095553.jpg

Step 5

For the centre piece I did the same as above but I started at each end with large branches meeting in the middle with smaller branches. I pierced holes in the back of both ends to hang. Depending on the door frame you may also need to secure it in the middle (I didn't)

20231210_095244.jpg

Step 6

Wrap with fairy lights of choice, fluff and style branches and enjoy.

20231209_211508.jpg

20231209_212905.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Repurpose Christmas Tree - Part 1 - Garland door arch

Afternoon @Herrenovacation 

:smile: Now that is a nice re-use of a Christmas tree! I was looking at the pictures going 'What is happening here" and then the last pic! :laugh: Oh yeah it looks good! Certainly makes the entrance look nice! I have my Christmas tree standing up but no decorations on it lol. It actually feels calming having the green in the room.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

What a sensational idea @Herrenovacation! That looks fantastic, and I'm sure you saved a pretty penny not having to purchase a pre-made garland.

No doubt the Christmas spirit is in abundance at your place. Well done, and many thanks for sharing!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Herrenovacation
Having an Impact

Thanks @Dave-1 & @MitchellMc 

@Dave-1 I will have to get better at my instructions hehe. Still time to decorate your tree, if you wanted to but sometimes the tree and maybe fairy lights is enough. Also I find real or fake plants adding the greenery inside very calming. 

@MitchellMc yes saved money and the environment so a double win!  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects