Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recommendations for a bathroom lock?

Quachy
Getting Established

Recommendations for a bathroom lock?

Hi,

Have a bathroom door with no lock (stumping issues), can you suggest locks to use as a temp fix - please share links to the products

This is a photo of the door, the timber frame is not in line/flat with the door

20230220_032821.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Recommendations for a bathroom lock?

Hi @Quachy 

If you are after a more secure lock, I suggest having a look at the Zenith Matte Black Heavy-Duty Barrel Bolt. In order for the bolt assembly to be at the same height as your door frame, I suggest using timber moulding the same size as your timber frame. I've placed a sketch below to give you an idea of how you can attach the timber mould and barrel bolt to the door. 

I propose using Selleys Ezi Press 130g Liquid Nails in combination with Zenith 8G x 28mm Gold Passivated Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws to mount the timber to your door.

Please make sure to mark the height of the installation and to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when drilling into the door assembly.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

@Quachy @Have you heard of a privacy lock for internal rooms, used for toilets/bathrooms 

Bunnings sell them

https://www.bunnings.com.au/gainsborough-satin-chrome-g4-series-amelia-privacy-leverset_p4180055

this one looks similar to yours.

Quachy
Getting Established

Hi @JoeAzza, yes, currently have that now, but the door won't click in to lock. (this could be stumping issues?) so i'm really just trying to put a band aid fix till i figure out what the real problem is,

If there's a bit of a gust/light breeze, the door pretty much swings open

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Quachy 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @JoeAzza. The Gainsborough Satin Chrome G4 Series Amelia Privacy Leverset is a good privacy lock and should work very well with your current set-up. If you are after something more traditional there are also the lever sets with the twist to lock nibs and the push button types. I propose visiting your local store and having a look at the available door lever sets.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

@Quachy I just had a look at your image with the handle, showing a pin on it, it looks like it's a privacy passage set, try pushing the pin in to see if it works, if not, try pushing the pin when the door is in the open position, if it locks whilst the door is open , there may be a problem with the stricker plate on the door jamb, the latch may not be locating in to the door jamb, an easy fix is to remove the stricker plate and file the slot a little bit longer or wider to allow the latch to fully engage. 

JoeAzza_0-1677051446927.png

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Quachy  - how are you getting on with your door?

I'm with @JoeAzza  - get that plate sorted out pronto, then most likely the lock will work fine. I'd be disappointed if I had to drill/screw into the door and frame if a little chiseling, repositioning and filing of the plate will quickly solve the problem. I've had to do it a lot with old frames and new latches. Good luck!

20230223_100353.jpg

Quachy
Getting Established

HI @Noyade,thanks a lot for the suggestion, did as you suggested and it's worked a gem! Got a chisel and made the hole for the latch a bit deeper. Can I ask something else - related 

How do you get that groove flat to move the plate down?

Quachy_0-1680474961438.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Quachy,

You'd do that with a chisel, but removing the striker plate first would be best. You need to use the chisel to cut a straight line into and across the side of the frame at the height you'd like to lower the striker plate. You can then come in from above and knock that section of timber out with the chisel. Repeat this process until you have the desired depth. If you move the striker plate down, you'll also need to move the hole for the latch down.

Remember your PPE, including work gloves and safety glasses.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects