Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is there a way to lighten my timber stain half way through?!

AS19
Growing in Experience

Is there a way to lighten my timber stain half way through?!

I am building some floating shelves with pine and adding a timber top to the half-height cabinets below the shelves. After the second coat of the stain, it is far too dark and red in colour. Is there anything I can add over the top for the final coat (rather than sanding it all back and starting again?!) that will lighten the colour slightly?

The picture shows the colour I was aiming for (against the wall) and the result after 2 coats of Cabot’s ‘Stain and Varnish’ in Sutherland Teak. The instructions say to use 3 coats. It really is reddish in real life (far more than the pictures capture) and nothing like the samples displayed in store, which were also shown on pine. I don’t have the time or funds to start again from scratch! Any tips?! Would a light sand and a different final coat help?!

image.jpg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is there a way to lighten my timber stain half way through?!

Hi @AS19,

Any additional coats of a lighter stain will turn the timber darker. You'll be adding more pigment to an already dark piece. An issue with replicating your example is that it features several different colours, and it is not one solid colour. You have everything in it, from very light tones to those close to what you have achieved on the stained piece. You could have chosen a lighter stain, but then you'd likely be here asking how to make the stain darker to replicate your example. To achieve a similar result, you would have needed to dry brush the stain on to create the grain effect or have applied it and then wiped it back off with a rag so it highlights the growth rings and grain.

At the moment, I think your best option is to lightly sand the timber back, revealing the undertones. If the timber you've used is Pine you might find with sanding, it will achieve a similar look to your example.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AS19
Growing in Experience

I have realised I never came back with an update on this project. I listened to your wise advice, took a deep breath and sanded the timber back until some of the raw pine came through, then wiped some stain back over with a rag and sealed (with cabothane clear from memory). I finally achieved close to the look I was aiming for and am happy with the warm tones now. Final step is to build wine shelves (undecided on design) into the space on the right side and fill the gaps for a seamless finish. I’ve been saying that for about 3 months now! 😆 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Well done @AS19. What a great result! Thanks so much for coming back and sharing some images. It will really help others in a similar position in the future. 

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects