Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Installing transition strips - Laminate to Carpet

adrienne-dion
Just Starting Out

Installing transition strips - Laminate to Carpet

Hi,

Am laying a laminate floor throughout most of house with carpet in bedrooms and tiles in bathrooms & laundry. 

I am looking at the installation of the transition strip between the laminate floor and the carpet area (usually under a door). 

looking at the product (or similar) QEP 25mm Transiti0n Cover Strip, are there 2 pieces to this solution or how do they get secured?

Is there a base component that is secured to the concrete between the carpeted & laminated areas that the trim cover is then clipped into?

They are of similar height so do not really need ramping solution, but may need to transition to tiled areas as these are a bit higher. Is the solution the same for these?

Regards

Dion

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Installing transition strips - Laminate to Carpet

Hello @adrienne-dion

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's magnificent to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about transition strips.

Allow me to investigate further concerning the secondary part of the QEP 25mm x 1m Transition Cover Trim. I do know that this trim is used for transitioning between tiles and laminate flooring. However, I suggest using Roberts 1.65m Silver Senior Ramp Floating Floor Trim in combination with Roberts Ramp And Cover Trim Plug - 10 Pack for laminate flooring to carpet. The Roberts floating floor trim is used for covering the various transitions of carpet, vinyl and laminate flooring where the surfaces are not level.

As soon as I have more information about the Transition Cover Trim, I will get back to you.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi,

Thanks @EricL for investigating this. 

I have found the two parts required: (would have been good to have the information on the website as part of the product description!)

Trim Base (Pinned or Pin-less) and the cover that clips into the base. 

Trim Multi Pin Less Base 1.65m Silver 41-7108-mb I/N: 6823048 or 
Trim Multi Pinned Base 1.65m Silver 41-7908-mb I/N: 6828179
QEP 25mm x 2.5m Transition Cover Trim 0227346 or similar trim. 

I looked at the Roberts 1.65m Silver Senior Ramp Floating Floor Trim however these are a lot wider (40mm as opposed to 25mm) and I am going for a sleek modern look. I was also hoping to get a wooden cover trim but these are not available from so am looking at spray painting the trim black before installation as we have a dark charcoal coloured carpet installed where these will go. 

Are there any videos/instructions on installing using the magic plugs? I am pretty new to this but have managed to lay 120M2 of floating floor ok and think I could pick this part up as well. May need to use the senior ramp where the flooring meets tiles that has a height difference. 

Regards,

Dion

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @adrienne-dion

It's great that you found the companion part of the Transition Cover Trim. There is a narrower version of the Roberts floor trim, it is the Roberts 3.3m Silver Junior Ramp Floating Floor Trim. However, it is much longer, but you can get at least three standard door covers for that length. I'll be sure to mention your suggestion to our team about having the Transition Cover Trim description included on the website.

The Roberts Ramp And Cover Trim Plug - 10 Pack is a slide on clip that goes under the Roberts 3.3m Silver Junior Ramp Floating Floor Trim. You mark the the floor area where you plan to attach the trim every 200mm and drill a hole on your marks. The plugs get pushed into the holes and the trim lightly tapped into place with a rubber mallet. My only tip is to make sure to drill deep enough to avoid a bad fitting plug.  

If you do decide to paint the trims, I suggest using White Knight Rust Guard 300g Clear Guard Quick Dry Spray Paint as a final top coat to protect it from everyday use. 

I also suggest having a look this discussion - Tile to laminate transition - hidden attachment of transition strip by @tibz. There is an excellent description of the steps to attach the floating floor trim.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects