Workshop
Ask a question

How to install a mirror on wall with studs not lined up?

VP
Finding My Feet

How to install a mirror on wall with studs not lined up?

Very much a DIY novice here so any advice is much appreciated 

I am trying to install a mirror at a spot just at the base of my staircase. I’ve used the Ryobi stud detector and marked up where the centre of the studs would be. Distance between studs are as follows:

Stud 1 to Stud 2 : 445mm

Stud 2 to Stud 3 : 285mm

As for the mirror, centre of the hooks on both ends of the mirror measure at approx 583mm

What is the best way to hang this mirror?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Installing a mirror on wall with studs not lined up

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @VP. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about hanging a mirror.

You might like to read through this helpful guide: How to hang just about anything.

Since your studs do not align with the mirror's fixing location, you have a couple of options. The first is to place one fixing into a stud and the other into the plasterboard. Placing fixings into the plasterboard is only suitable if the mirror isn't exceptionally heavy. You'll be governed by what a plasterboard fixing can hold. For example, this Ramset Nylon WallMate Plasterboard has a limit of 10kg, and this GripIt 25mm Blue Plasterboard Fixing has an outstanding limit of 60kg.

The other option is to screw a section of timber between the studs. You'll then be able to place timber fixings into it and mount the mirror where you like.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Installing a mirror on wall with studs not lined up

Thanks for that! The Ramset Wallmate did the job 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects