Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to view energy consumption in Arlec Smart Plug?

dannyb
Just Starting Out

How to view energy consumption in Arlec Smart Plug?

Hey everyone! 

Basically same question as the title - I have just purchased an Arlec wifi smart plug with usb and energy meter, the plug works fine switching threw the grid connect app, but for the life of me I cannot work out how to view the power consumption???

Thanks

Dan!

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: arlec smart plug with energy meter and usb - how to view energy

Hi @dannyb 

Idont have your direct answer but in the Grid Connect app

Click the top left three lines called a "hamburger by app developers" also called menu  button.

3/4 way down the screen is a CONNECT button that claim they will give you contact via voice chat or video call.

Good luck hope this gets you your help

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dannyb. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about the Arlec smart plug.

I am under the impression that when you open the device in the Grid Connect app, you should be presented with a screen that looks similar to the image I've posted below. It should clearly display all the information you're looking for. Could you open the device on your phone, screenshot it and upload a picture?

Let me mention our resident Grid Connect expert @CSParnell to see if he has any thoughts. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey @MitchellMc , @dannyb and @Jewelleryrescue 

The long and the short unfortunately the energy logging side of these devices and all the Deta Grid Connect range is what I'd call useless. 

All it will show you is a peak for the day, it will not show you when the peak occurs, it will not let you zoom in to see hours in the day what you see is the best you get.

You can hover over it and it will give you the peak output in kW put that's it.

They are not data loggers they are energy meters.

Screenshot_20221231_132336_Grid Connect.jpg

Compare that to a Tuya Din Mount data logger, switching device with alarms I am running to monitor my pool pump and you can see how much more I can see.

Screenshot_20221231_132409_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20221231_132526_Grid Connect.jpg

I did have a look around at what other brand smart plugs had any better energy metering / data logging and I don't think I came up any better than the Deta Grid Connect but that was at least 6 months ago so things may have changed. 

Mirabella, Brilliant, Tuya all work under the Grid Connect App as it's just a skinned Tuya app or you can switch over to Smart Life or Tuya Smart and bring your Grid Connect devices to there.

I have way to many devices and automations to make the change.

Hope that helps, if you need any advice on Grid Connect hardware / software just tag me and I'll respond. :wink: 😉 

Happy NYE

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects