Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to support rotting bearer under house?

dsilvamelroy
Finding My Feet

How to support rotting bearer under house?

Hi

I've recently purchased a house which is over 50 years old. In the pre-inspection report it mentioned about a shifting foundation wall and addressing a crack in the front foundation wall. 

I hired a brickie to breakdown the wall in sections and build 3 new brick piers on the existing footing. 

After inspecting further, I've noticed a rot in the external Bearer under the house. I've supported it by sistering it with a 90x90 blackbutt timber and rested it on the end piers and the newly built ones. 

My question is do I need to support it further by drilling new through bolts through the old and new bearers? 

1000029711.jpg

1000029946.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to support rotting bearer under house?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dsilvamelroy. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about bearers.

That sounds like a question best posed to a carpenter, as they'll need to reference building regulations to determine whether the fix you've put in place resolves the issue or if further work needs to be done. I suspect the correct course of action would be to replace the bearer entirely, though what you've done already might be adequate. Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to give an adequate answer without assessing the entire structure and it's best that a professional does so.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to support rotting bearer under house?

Thanks Mitchell. I'll get in touch with a structural engineer and finalise what needs to be done. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects