Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop water dripping from roof gutter?

sper
Building a Reputation

How to stop water dripping from roof gutter?

Hi valuable and helpful community,

I hope everyone had a great time during the break, I enjoyed my days in front yard landscaping and will share pictures once it’s green with grass :).

I have an issue with one of the rain pipes in a corner of my roof, rain water drops from there and comes on a Window frame underneath. Take a look at the picture and suggest me what can I do about it.

thank you 

B61940CE-66E0-47FF-82C4-F33795676924.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop water dripping from roof gutter?

Hello @sper 

Thank you for sharing your question about your leaking gutter. I suspect that the silicone sealant on the gutter stop end has deteriorated. I suggest putting a new bead inside with Selleys 290ml Black Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant. Be generous with the sealant and make sure to cover all the corners and parts where the gutter stop end links to the gutter.

Please make sure to wear gloves and safety goggles when applying the silicone. When working on a ladder, please make sure that you have someone holding it steady at the bottom and that the feet of the ladder are firmly planted on the ground. Take all necessary precautions when working on your roof's gutter.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sper
Building a Reputation

Hey @EricL Fantastic advice, will act on it and let you know. Thanks and really appreciate the level of details with graphics, you guys make things so easy for us new DIYers. Love it.

sper
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric, I went up to apply the seleant but figured out that it’s missing the stop end. I am not sure which stop end and where to get it from and if I would be able to fit it. 

please advise.

thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sper 

Can you please take a photo of the end of the gutter from the top? This will give our members an idea of how the gutter was sealed at the end. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

Before you come down from the ladder, can you please take some measurements on the width and height of the end of the gutter. This will help us track down the part you are after.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

sper
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric,

Here is the photo from the top of the corner and it is roughly 13.5cm wide.

AF7AF576-15DE-4B92-A980-81B515B12200.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

How unusual, @sper! Looks like they just forgot to add the end cap. 

There's a good chance this COLORBOND 115mm LH Quad Gutter End Stop will suit, but you'll likely need to double-check once you return home. 

Installing a gutter end stop is a relatively simple process. You'll need a drill driver, drill bit, silicone, rivet gun, blind rivets and a ladder.

First, clean the sediment in the gutter thoroughly. Place the end stop at the end of the gutter, ensuring it is level and aligned with the gutter edge. Mark the position of the blind rivet holes on the end stop and onto the gutter using a marker. Use a drill to make holes through the gutter and end stop at the marked positions.

Apply silicone on the inside edge of the end stop. Make sure to apply it down the back, across the bottom and up the front edge. Align the holes on the end stop with the holes on the gutter and use blind rivets to fix the end stop position. Once the end stop is installed, you can add an additional bead of silicone on the inside of the gutter for extra protection.

Since you'll be working at heights, have a read through this helpful guide on How to use ladders safely. Also, make sure to wear safety glasses and gloves when working on the guttering.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

sper
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL @I followed your advice and it has worked brilliantly and I am so happy 😀. Post my reply late though as I fixed it quite a while ago. Nonetheless good to share feedback here. One thing I had to get was tin snip as needed to cut the cap to the size. 
thank you 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sper 

Thank you so much for the update, I'm glad that your gutter has been repaired. 

If you need assistance with any other projects, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects