Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop roller blockout blinds from banging?

Leonie_D
Just Starting Out

How to stop roller blockout blinds from banging?

I have the roller blockout blinds, when there is the slightest wind they bang non stop, would love a simple tip to stop this.
Thank you.
Leonie

DIYGnome
Building a Reputation

Re: Blockout blinds.

Hello @Leonie_D I am not sure of whether you are speaking about indoor or outdoor blinds, could you link a similar product or picture for reference please? 😉

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to stop roller blockout blinds from banging?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Leonie_D. We're delighted to have you join us.

Thanks for your question. I agree with @DIYGnome that it would be helpful if you could provide more details of your blinds as well as photos of the blinds and the area where they have been installed. This will enable our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL and other members to provide more tailored and specific advice. 

Let me know if you need assistance in uploading photos or if you have any questions navigating the site. Happy to help.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Leonie_D 

There are solutions to keep your block out blind from banging into your window frame even in windy conditions. But in order for us to give you a comprehensive solution, would it be possible for you to post a photo of your block out blind extended and a picture of the window frame as well. 

In these situations, I often suggest using Zenith 8mm Black Shock Cord Button - 8 Pack in combination with Zenith 90mm Black Stretch Loop - 2 Pack. This is on the condition that there are mounting spots for the button and the loop. 

However, if there no mounting points it will be necessary to provide a different type of anchoring solution.

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

Hi EricL,

I have honeycomb/paper like blinds. Will the shock cord button and stretch loop combination work with these blinds. If not, would love to hear an alternative solution. Thank you 

IMG_7311.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @happycat. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about blinds.

Let me tag @EricL to see if he can answer your question.

Are the blinds fitted within the window frame, and do you typically have them extended right to the lower frame when in use? If so, you could potentially attach stick on Velcro on the bottom edge of the blind and the window sill. You'd simply pull the blind down and attach the Velcro to keep it from moving around. Even if the blinds are on the outside of the frame, a similar fix could be suitable.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

The blinds are fitted within the window frame. The blinds only move around when the windows are open, making a knocking sound. I’m try to find a solution which allows me to pull the blinds up and down.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @happycat 

Thanks for that extra information about your blinds. Now that I see what you have installed, I suggest going with MitchellMc's recommendation. I propose using the VELCRO Brand 25mm x 1m White Stick On Hook and Loop Tape. This is easy to install and will keep the bottom of the blind from moving.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks Eric and Mitchell.

I can’t visualise how to install this on the blinds. Could you please provide a bit more info? Thanks 

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @happycat and @Leonie_D 

I had the same issue with my blinds so I have stuck some self adhesive felt strips on the bottom inner edge of the blind where it bangs against the window winders (in my case) on the frame.  This has turned a "thud" into a barely perceptible bump that doesn't disturb me at all. If you don't have winders you'll probably only need a little at each end, since the middle can't then hit anything.

This is the type of felt I used but it comes in other sizes and colours... 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/surface-gard-13-x-1473mm-beige-adhesive-felt-strip_p0262187

Maybe that will work for you too.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects