Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stain a cane / wicker chair?

sambax
Just Starting Out

How to stain a cane / wicker chair?

Hi All,

I bought a cane chair second hand and was hoping to stain it in a darker colour - is this possible with this type of material? And if so, what products should I be looking at? I am an absolute novice when it comes to DIY! Thank you in advance! 

IMG_5561.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stain a cane / wicker chair?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sambax. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about staining wicker.

Wicker being a natural reed or willow does readily accept stain. However, it is often clearcoated to protect it from weathering. Does your seat appear to have a clear coat or varnish on it? If you take a tiny drop of water and place it on the woven material, then leave it for ten minutes, does it absorb into the wicker or sit there as a droplet on the surface? If it absorbs in then this is a good indication that you can stain your chair.

Product and colour-wise I would recommend heading into a store so you can see what's available. Depending on whether this chair will be outside exposed to the elements or indoors, you can either use an exterior or interior stain; the colour choice is up to you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects