Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to simply clean glass windows

ajwindowclean
Just Starting Out

How to simply clean glass windows

I recently stumbled upon a budget-friendly and effective way to achieve spotless, streak-free windows using just two simple tools: dishwashing liquid and a squeegee. Yes, you heard that right – no fancy window cleaners or expensive solutions needed. I thought I'd share my newfound window-cleaning wisdom with all of you here at the Bunnings Workshop community.

Materials

Materials You'll Need:

• Dishwashing liquid (mild, non-abrasive)
  • Squeegee with a rubber blade
  • Clean microfiber cloths or lint-free paper towels
  • A bucket
  • Water

Tools

Steps

Step 1

1. Prepare the Cleaning Solution: Start by filling a bucket with warm water and add a small amount of mild dishwashing liquid. A little goes a long way here – you don't need to create tons of bubbles.

Step 2

2. Remove Dust and Debris: Use a clean microfiber cloth or lint-free paper towel to gently wipe away any loose dust, dirt, or cobwebs from the window surface. This step ensures that you won't end up with muddy streaks during the cleaning process.

Step 3

3. Apply the Cleaning Solution: Dip a soft sponge or cloth into the soapy water mixture and wring out excess water. Gently scrub the window surface with the dampened cloth, starting from the top and working your way down. Pay extra attention to any stubborn spots or stuck-on residue.

Step 4

4. Squeegee Time: Now, here comes the magic of the squeegee! Begin at the top corner of the window and pull the squeegee down in a straight line. Make sure to maintain consistent pressure and overlap each stroke slightly to avoid leaving streaks. Wipe the rubber blade with a clean cloth after each pass to prevent water buildup.

Step 5

5. Dry and Polish: Once you've squeegeed the entire window, use a dry microfiber cloth or lint-free paper towel to wipe off any remaining water droplets along the edges and sills. This final step ensures your windows dry completely and leaves them sparkling clean.

Step 6

6. Admire the Shine: Step back and marvel at your streak-free, crystal clear windows that now allow maximum sunlight to flood your space.

Step 7

Tips and Tricks:

• Choose a mild dishwashing liquid without harsh chemicals to prevent damage to the window surface.
  • Work on cloudy or overcast days to avoid the sun drying the cleaning solution too quickly and leaving streaks behind.
  • If you have larger windows, break them into smaller sections to make the process more manageable.
  • Clean your squeegee blade regularly to maintain its effectiveness.
  • For exceptionally dirty windows, you might need to repeat the process a few times for the best results.

So, there you have it, fellow DIYers! A simple and cost-effective way to achieve spotless windows that let the sunshine in. Give it a try and share your experience, tips, and any variations you've discovered along the way. Let's keep our community sparkling clean, one window at a time! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to simply clean glass windows

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ajwindowclean. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your tips.

That sounds like a fantastic and economical way of cleaning windows. Do you have any images that you could share with us of the finished window? I trust our members would love to check out your results.

Many thanks for sharing, and we look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects