Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal concrete floor in converted verandah?

Vantilles
Just Starting Out

How to seal concrete floor in converted verandah?

Hi,
I am having issues with the concrete floor in a room that is made from a closed in verandah.
There is moss appearing between the old outside wall and the concrete floor of the converted room.
What is the best way to tackle this? The concrete was painted years ago but has since worn away.
I am not sure if it just needs sealing or a damp liner?

I had covered the floor in vinyl tiles for a while but had to pull them up and there was moisture under them. 
I don't really want to tear up the concrete if it can be avoided.

Also, if anyone knows an easy way to remove the brown filler on the right of the photo it would be greatly appreciated!received_3366203963526418.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Issue with concrete floor in converted verandah

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Vantilles. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about damp-proofing a room.

This is an issue best tackled from outside the wall. You need to determine how the water penetrates the wall and prevent that from happening. It could be a crack on the outside, or perhaps some flashing is misplaced, directing water inside. Can you take some images of the outside for our helpful members?

You can add band-aid measures inside to prevent water from entering the room. However, that will trap the water in the wall cavity, leading to decay of the framing timbers, which would be another issue to deal with.

The brown filler/glue on the wall would need to be sanded back. But I'm suspicious that if that's a fibre cement sheet, it likely contains asbestos. Do not sand or disturb the sheet until you can have it assessed and verify that it does not contain asbestos. It's better to just paint over it and live with the inconsistency of the filler in that location.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects