Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore an old Oak table?

katemckenzie95
Growing in Experience

How to restore an old Oak table?

We are restoring an old American oak table.  It has been sanded back to bare wood. I would like to keep it a light colour - not the darker stain which it was before.  What product is best to use? How about Cabots walnut stain with a satin finish? How about no stain and only Wattyl Estapol Speed Clear?  The leaf in the middle is a different grain - maybe a different cut of the oak.

oak table_sanded 06022024.jpg 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Restoring an old Oak Table

Hi  @katemckenzie95 

Sikkens 4L Natural Cetol BLX-Pro Timber Finish

$137.40

Buy  the  1 litre  version as you  wont need  4 litre. lol

• Quick drying
  • Ideal for decks and all exterior timber
  • Long lasting weather and UV protection
  • Beautiful transparent low satin finish
  • Lower environmental impact and odour. Compared to a typical solvent-based equivalent
Sikkens Cetol BLX-Pro is a premium, stand-alone three coat, water based system suitable for all decking, and interior/exterior timber. BLX-Pro is micro-porous, allowing timber to breathe whilst repelling unwanted moisture.

For a super glossy  highly UV resistant outdoor nateral  clear (no stain ) Finish

Hi Thanks for suggestion, but the table is for indoor use and I don't like super glossy.

Hello @katemckenzie95 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about restoring your oak table.

I propose having a look at the Cabot's 1L Satin Clear Benchtop Timber Finish. It's specifically designed for benchtops and tables, it's water-based and will therefore not turn yellow like oil-based sealers.

Timber being a natural product behaves in a certain way when it gets wet. I recommend testing the clear sealer on a small portion of the table and see if you like its finish when it dries off. If you like the finish, you can then commit the entire table.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
katemckenzie95
Growing in Experience

Thank yo Eric,

I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards Kate

katemckenzie95
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric,

Is the Cabot Benchtop clear you recommend, a poylurethane product?

And is polyurethane desirable for my table?

Regards 

Kate

Hello @katemckenzie95 

I've double checked with Cabot's technical team, and it is classified as a clear varnish. Now because it is water-based it will not turn yellow unlike oil-based varnishes. It is a much more desirable coat rather than polyurethane that hardens and chips when exposed to sudden impacts. 

As I mentioned earlier in my last post, it's always best to test it first, to see if you like the finish.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

katemckenzie95
Growing in Experience

Thank you for your advice Eric,

Yes I will test a small area first  - possibly underneath.

Regards Kate

Keep us updated @katemckenzie95, and reach out if you have further questions. We can't wait to see the finished project.

Mitchell

Help!

We put the Cabot's Benchtop Timber Finish on the underside of the leaf and it's dried white - see photos. We did stir it initially.  It looked milky / white when we opened it and after the stirring.

Regards Kate

IMG_2593.jpgIMG_2592.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects