Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace window and cupboards in caravan bedroom?

Tinytinhouse
Getting Established

How to replace window and cupboards in caravan bedroom?

We live onsite in caravan and annexe in caravan park and have been reading your caravan renovation guides. We need to replace the back bedroom window and surrounds. Can we replace with normal house window and do Bunnings have these.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace window and cupboards in caravan bedroom?

Hello @Tinytinhouse 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about changing your caravan window.

In order to give our members a better idea of your windows location, would it be possible for you to post a photo inside and outside of the caravan? This will give our members a chance to assess its condition. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

The store does carry aluminium and timber window sets, but they are very big. It would be handy to see your window first and the type of wall that you have. It's important to find out if the caravan wall can support the weight of the new window.

Here is a handy link for ideas and inspiration: 10 caravan renovations.

Here are some links to caravan discussions:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
twocutekelpies
Making a Splash

Hello Tinytinhouse,

I recently removed a house window from the side of one of my caravans mainly because it looked very odd against the others but also because it leaked badly. The back of caravans are often angled so I feel you'd struggle to stop water seeping in over the sliders, they're designed to be installed on a flat vertical surface.

I think you're better off sourcing a proper caravan window, either new from Camec or similar or second hand if you can source from a repairer or caravan wreckers. 

What's the problem with your existing window? I've removed, restored and re-installed quite a few windows now. There's a detailed step by step at https://www.caravansplus.com.au/guides/step-by-step-wind-out-window-repair-a-10.html if your window is similar. I've gone further than this and taken the entire window off, cleaned off the old sealant and renewed.

As EricL mentioned, photos would be very helpful.

Shelley

Instagram @twocutekelpies

Thank you Eric, much appreciate the advice, will take photos and show the back of our caravan.IMG_0697.jpgIMG_0698.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Tinytinhouse,

I'd recommend following @twocutekelpies advice, as they have extensive knowledge and practical experience in this area; they're also highly regarded in dedicated caravan renovation communities. If it were something you could do, I'm sure they'd be all for it.

What was the reason for wanting to use a standard home window?

Mitchell

Thank you for your great advice, I have another question. The cupboards above window, could I get doors to put on front instead of sliding as this would give a greater access to the cupboards? 

Thanks for the photos Tinytinhouse. Looks like you have an approx 1973 Viscount Royal there. I haven't done one of these myself but have seen a few other owners have issues with these. The winders often leak and because chipboard was used above and below, the damage looks worse than it is.  The sealant used had a life span of 10-15yrs, so well past "use by" if the windows haven't been resealed at all, the trims/j-rails should also be resealed, so leaking could be coming from anywhere. 

Fortunately Viscounts had aluminium frames then so most of your water damage is cosmetic. If you're handy (and it's not really hard, just finicky and requires a lot of patience) check out Classic Caravans on Youtube, they have a few how-to videos. eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttFAAeuu1WY 

There's a few schools of thought on best sealant to use, some swear by silicone, others prefer Sikaflex, others like in the video use Mastic. I usually paint after sealing so I avoid silicone (paint won't stick to it).  This topic has been the cause of many arguments in my caravan communities.

As for your doors. To remove the sliding doors, the tracks are usually just stapled in place, you can pry them off leaving just the cupboard frame in place. If you want hinged doors to replace, it would just be a matter of cutting ply (or your choice of material) to size, adding hinges, door knob and a catch to keep closed. 

Shelley

Instagram @twocutekelpies

I'd imagine converting the sliding cupboard doors to hinged would be possibly @Tinytinhouse. It would require some custom work to install a timber frame around the opening so the door hinges and latch can be attached. You'll then need to create some new doors from timber panels.

Mitchell

Thank you so much, I really appreciate all your assistance. We feel more confident moving forward.

Coral

Keep us updated, Coral (@Tinytinhouse), and please reach out again if you need further assistance; we're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects