Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace this arch?

Zun
Finding My Feet

How to replace this arch?

Hi,

I was looking for some fresh ideas and options to replace the curved arch as circled in the attached picture. What are the options available to make it a bit modernised?

Arch.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to replace this arch?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Zun. We're pleased to have you join us and trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our clever and creative members.

Let me tag a few helpful members in @lifestylebymari@Renowayoflife and @redbournreno to see what they would do with this arch.

It was interesting that before starting work on the renovation of a typical 1980s suburban Australian home, the Make It Happen team asked Australians should the internal arches stay or go and 60% of respondents said the arches should stay. You might like to take a look at the end results. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

Hey @Zun 

what a fun and exciting project!! I know it may not be as popular these days as arches are on trend but this arch looks like it’s closing the kitchen off, if I’m looking at the picture correctly. And I have been known to take out a few arches in my projects.

first question are you looking to keep the shape but modernize? If so you could plaster it and paint, the brick dates it.

if you want to remove it all together then I would remove it and take the opening as high and wide as you are able. You’d need to check if it’s a structural wall and may need to install an appropriate sized beam.

let us know what you decide. 

Zun
Finding My Feet

Thanks, Jason, for connecting me with others and for sharing the survey results. I am open to ideas if the arches were to stay, what particular supply or material would be used to replace the existing cracked bricks on wooden boards.

Thanks!

If we were to keep these Arches, what other choices would be available other than plastering and painting?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Zun 

I believe those are the available choices, and I think it comes down to creativity. The plaster for example can be used to smooth out the surface of the brick or you can build up on it to make it thicker and get it to stand out. The paint can be used to either enhance the brick by painting it with a bright colour or paint it the same colour as the wall so that it blends in. Its texture will still stand out and act as a feature.

If you were to combine it with a new kitchen colour, it should be a nice classic feature that will enhance the overall look of the area.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects