Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace stairwell flooring?

dingodamonika
Getting Established

How to replace stairwell flooring?

IMG20221017093342.jpg

IMG20221017093358.jpg

Advice needed on replacing flooring on my stairwell any suggestions 

Something that matches my laminated flooring 

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to replace stairwell flooring?

Hey @dingodamonika , welcome to the Bunnings community, it's awesome for you to join us. I'd take this project on by painting the fronts with the same white you are using for your walls (or if you're using another colour for your rail, match it with that). Then use the same laminate for your floors and use those over the top of your stairs. 

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @dingodamonika

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about replacing your stairwell flooring.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Remarka6le. I agree with his recommendations, an easy and affordable way to cover the surface of your stairs is with laminate. Your other options are to replace them with timber or you can paint them. I suggest having a look at this discussion - D.I.Y. internal stairs using MDF by @Clint_hayward

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi 

Thanks I like the tip on the white paint

The staircase steps are wider than my laminated flooring

And what can I do about the edge of the steps

But thank you for the feedback 

Thanks Eric

I'll check that post and thank you for the advice 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dingodamonika

It will probably be a bit more challenging fitting laminate flooring onto your stairs, but there are larger panels available at the store. As for the stair edging, I usually recommend using aluminium edging to cap off the edge of the step. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your stairs revamped.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects