Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace handles on old door?

fmurphy
Just Starting Out

How to replace handles on old door?

Hello,

I am about to repaint the internal doors in my home and want to replace the handles at the same time, to something like the Gainsborough product screenshotted below. I am very unsure about whether any of the standard available handles on the market will suit my door, as they all reference a door hole diameter of roughly 50-54mm, and backset of 60mm. I have not taken any handles off yet, but the plate does not even span as wide as 50mm so I know the hole cannot be that large. And the backset at the moment is roughly 55mm.
Does anyone have any tips for suitable handles for older doors? Will any modern products work best? I’m wondering if I will need to make the hole bigger perhaps, or even need new doors?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks,

Fiona

IMG_8592.jpeg

IMG_8596.jpeg

IMG_8597.png

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace handles on old door?

Hello @fmurphy,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your door handle.

I suggest having a quick look at this guide - How to change a door knob. It will give you ideas of how to change your door handle.

I propose taking one of your door handles off and bringing it to the store so that you can match it with the Gainsborough Bright Chrome G4 Series Florence Passage Leverset. The possible difference between your set and new one is the mounting posts are set aside that it requires you to have a larger hole in your door. 

The best way to find out how to modify your door mount is by examining your new door handle and finding out what you need to change on your door so that it will fit. Drilling into your door will be necessary and if you have the necessary tools you'll be able to mount your new door handle with ease. 

The new door handle will carry with it a cutting guide, you'll be able to use it on your door and you'll know exactly where you need to put the new cut for your door handle. If you're keen to try, I propose replacing one of your doorknobs to give yourself a bit of experience. If your successful you can then change the rest of doorknobs.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to replace handles on old door?

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community @fmurphy.

I trust you found Eric's reply helpful, and particularly his step-by-step guide to changing a door knob. 

Please don't hesitate to post if you have follow-up questions. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects