Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace awning and flyscreen?

rohitbudhiraja
Finding My Feet

How to replace awning and flyscreen?

1000020458.jpg

Hello community members

Need assistance with replacing awning windows and flyscreens to ensure there are no gaps between them and they can be opened freely without pest infestation.

My challenges are:

1. The new awning mechanisms available in Bunnings are not the same dimensions as the ones I need to replace.

2. Regarding the flyscreens, can I reuse them? If so, how can I make them compatible with the size of the new awning? Also I need to cover these gaps. If can not be reused, then where can I obtain new ones? How can I make them sit perfectly on the new awning mechanism?

3. I don't know if I would require lot of tools for this. Specially metal cutting tools which I don't have any. In anticipation are there workshops available where I can make frames, etc., or other resources that I may require, which may become clearer after your suggestions?

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replace awning and flyscreen

Hi @rohitbudhiraja,

Are you replacing the windows or the window winders?

Creating flyscreen frames for awning windows has been covered quite a bit in the community; check out these previous discussions.

You'd likely be able to reuse the screens, but you will need to adjust them to suit the new winders and repair the sections where the old winder passed through them. Due to their custom size, if you can't re-use them, you'd need to build them entirely from scratch using flyscreen frames.  

Creating a screen frame to suit your locking and new winding mechanism is quite complex. If you haven't created basic rectangular frames before, it might be worth employing the services of a professional to construct custom-made ones for your mechanisms. At a minimum, you'll need a drill, a pop-rivet gun and some aluminium bar and angle to do this yourself. Check out this Best Advice article: How do you make a flyscreen frame? Because of the many different sizes of windows out there, screen frames are sold in lengths for you to cut down and assemble yourself. You'll also need a Rolltrak Flyscreen Mitre BoxRolltrak Aluminium Flyscreen Corner Stake, spline, spline roller, mini hack saw and insect screen

Once you've cut the frame to the correct length and installed the corner pieces, you'll be ready to install your new insect screen. You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to replace a flyscreen by @Tara86.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects