Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair damaged laminate bench edge?

bectoddplus2
Finding My Feet

How to repair damaged laminate bench edge?

F50A59E1-DD73-414C-8AF3-9F9BBEBEC0F2.jpeg

brand new laminate desk damaged by office chair arm rest. Best repair solution needed. Many thanks, Rebecca 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Damaged laminate bench edge

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bectoddplus2. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a laminate bench.

Do you happen to have the missing piece still? If so, you could probably fashion a reasonable repair by injecting clear Araldite under the remaining piece and also using it to glue the missing section back in place. You'd need to clamp the area exceptionally well whilst the glue dries to ensure the pieces compress back down into position instead of sitting proud of the surface.

If you don't have the missing piece, you'd be looking at filling the area with Builder's Bog, sanding it flat, undercoating and painting with enamel paint. You might find it easiest to spray paint the area.

Another option might be to glue a length of aluminium angle over the edge. That would cover the damage nicely.

Let me mention one of our knowledgeable members @Jewelleryrescue to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @bectoddplus2   and @MitchellMc

You will  have a very hard time fixing that laminate and have it look good. Near impossible to make a blended patch and not have it  noticable sadly.

Also any repair you do maybe be hit by the  chair again in the coarse of a working  day so  ideally we are looking for a new long term solution

A  One of the ways to fully repair that damaged and make it look good is as @MitchellMc  described is to use builders bog  and re paint the desk top.   His  idea of  The aluminium edge will work if you like that option  and  it will future proof desk  from edge hurt at the same time.

B Other solutions are fill the hole with builders bog and sand smooth (first take loose chip out)  There maybe laminate suppliers around you to buy a new roll of thin laminate to roll it out on top across the entire desk top and  glue it down. you will also need a strip for the visable front and side edges.  Usually laminates have heat activated glue  ie a house hold iron  works but takes a little bit of skill.

C  Bunnings Stocks an array of desk size timber panels also laminated 26mm thick approx  for around $100 -200 so measure your desk an add a new desk top layer ontop of the old filling the side missing laminate  hole.  But new laminate may  get re hurt.  Is your desk top removable?

D Put real timber on top planks on top and glue them on and varnish it if any damage it is sand able and fixable.

E   My  prefered fix I have done in my office.  Cover the damage unrepaired with a desk mat  Ikea has a good one  (RISSLA  Desk pad, black  $39 it is black with stitched edge it has a front lip to hide chip and it will protect a  85cm x 60 section of your laminate desk from most  future chair damage.  Nice desk addition.

F  Cheaper coverage option use  your favorite contact adhesive pattern on top and folded over edge or separate front / side strips if the fold wont stay stuck down.  When  contact adhesive gets  scruffy pull up and replace and a new look.

I hope there is enough ideas to inspire your own solution.

Thanks everyone - I'll try the builders bog, paint and the Ikea desk mat to prevent future damage.

Love this forum and very grateful for this brains trust. Happy New Year.

Cheers,

Rebecca 

Happy New Year to you, too, Rebecca (@bectoddplus2).

Please keep us updated and reach out again if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects