Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair bearer to post connection?

jdanny
Just Starting Out

How to repair bearer to post connection?

20230723_123717.jpg

 Hey team, I have a 265 x 65 bearer that spans 5.4m on a balcony in front of my house. The bearer itself started to split so purchased some replacement timber. Currently the bearer is connected to the post with a VERY precarious looking notch that is bolted to the bearer. I was looking at doing a flat connection for the post to the bearer but I don't seem Australia using the Simpson strong tie brackets. So with the hardware available here, what would be the suggested way to connect the bearer to post? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair bearer to post connection?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jdanny. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting a bearer to a post.

Given the height of this balcony, I'd highly recommend you consult with an experienced professional on appropriate connection methods. I would imagine that the solution would be something along the lines of a solid steel plate on both sides of the posts that extend up onto the bearer. Bolts would pass through the plates and sandwich the post and bearer between them.

Due to the potential hazards when D.I.Y.ing projects like these, sometimes you need to call in the professionals for an opinion.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects