Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a Trimdek and Colorbond roof?

JustinMcAbbe
Cultivating a Following

How to repair a Trimdek and Colorbond roof?

Hello

I am trying to self repair our roof as we can't find any one atm. This roof is 

Trimdek and Colorbond, Please can you advise what is the best way to fix the following two problems;

1) Hole in Trimdeck

2) Missing Flashing 

JustinMcAbbe_0-1671582538095.png

JustinMcAbbe_1-1671582558275.png

JustinMcAbbe_2-1671582577706.png

JustinMcAbbe_3-1671582594500.png

JustinMcAbbe
Cultivating a Following

Water Proof Metal Roof

Hello

I am trying to find out which products to use to apply water proofing to a metal

Trimdek and Colour-bond roof.

1. What products is good to seal the Screws and Bolts?

2. What tape is good to seal the joins?

3. What is a good metal water proofing membrane with fabric seal?

4. Any other ideas to water proof this for life?

5. What is a good outdoor water proof filler?

6. Any water proof products to lower temperature

JustinMcAbbe_0-1671604427770.pngJustinMcAbbe_1-1671604441246.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair a Trimdek and Colorbond roof?

Hello @JustinMcAbbe

Thank you for sharing your question about repairing your Colourbond roof. I suggest a combination of Australian Handyman Supplies 1200 x 600 x 0.55mm Galvabond Mini Sheet, Selleys 290ml Grey Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant and some Blind Rivets

I propose measuring the area you're trying to cover and cutting out the general shape of the patch using tin snips making sure to allow for overlaps. You can use ordinary timber and a mallet to make the bends in the mini sheet. Make sure to test fit the patch so that you'll know that it covers the area you're trying to repair.

When you're confident that the patch is in the right shape, do one more test fit and drill pilot holes for the blind rivets. Apply the roof and gutter seal and fix it in place with the blind rivets. I've placed a sketch below to give you an idea of what it needs to look like. Please have a look and tell me what you think.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Water Proof Metal Roof

Hello @JustinMcAbbe

Before you put new sealant on the screw heads, I suggest removing all of the old sealants that are still attached to the head. I recommend using Selleys 290ml Clear Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant. In regards to tape, I suggest having a look at Consolidated Alloys 100mm x 10m Weatherproof Byute Flash Flashing Tape. If you're looking for an external waterproofing membrane, I recommend Crommelin 15L Exterior Grade Brushable Waterproofer in combination with Crommelin 5m Waterproofing Tape.

In order for me to give you more information about fillers, can you please tell me what part of the house you're using them on? Aside from installing insulation on your roof a quick way to lower the temperature of your roof is by painting it white. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JustinMcAbbe
Cultivating a Following

@EricL Hello, Thank you the advice, got time so going to try and give this ago.. btw, your response is amazing, i would have no clue how to fix this otherwise.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JustinMcAbbe,

It's brilliant to see you're going to give this repair a go.

Let us know if there is anything you run into that might require a bit more advice, we're more than happy to help.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects