Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a Paramount partition wall?

boscage
Just Starting Out

How to repair a Paramount partition wall?

We have a 1960s Canberra home with Paramount partition internal walls (no studs, filled with a corrugated cardboard). We had a chimney removed and now have a chimney -shaped hole in the wall between our sitting room and kitchen. How would we go about repairing this? Rebuilding a new stud wall is not desirable (in terms of time/money/mess). Thanks in advance!

PXL_20230325_125240330.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair a Paramount partition wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @boscage. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a Paramount partition wall.

What other options were you considering apart from constructing a stud wall for that section? Installing timber studs and plasterboarding over them will likely be the cheapest and easiest option here. I'd suggest installing a top and bottom plate and running two studs straight down either side of the taller cutout. A few noggins and you'd be ready to install the new plasterboard. I've created the below rendering to illustrate.

If you have some other ideas about repairing the section, I'd be keen to discuss them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects