Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove vine remnants on house?

Mela18
Getting Established

How to remove vine remnants on house?

Hi! We bought this house earlier this year. Previous owners (original, 25+ years) had a vine growing all across the exterior of the house. Gorgeous? Yes. Damaging? Yes. Our first job was removing it. We've found it growing through the ceiling cavity (between the two floors) when we had to investigate a plumbing issue. It's left mould damage and now we're left with the sticky parts of it that we don't know how to get off. Any ideas? It's on multiple surfaces - brick, metal frame of window and on paint on house exterior. Please help! 

IMG20220827102339.jpg

IMG20220827102347.jpg

IMG20220827102403.jpg

IMG20220827102411.jpg

   

BAB3F4B4_IMG_4504.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removal of vine remnants on house

Hi @Mela18,

I'd suggest starting with some warm water with dishwashing detergent added to it. You should be able to scrub a fair amount off with a nylon bristle brush. You can also use a plastic scraper. Those surfaces should also be fine to use a high-pressure washer on, so give that a go too. 

If you are not getting anywhere, swap to a stiff bristle brush. If that doesn't work, you'll likely need to use a metal scraper which will cause damage to the paintwork. It looks like you'll need to re-paint anyway, as those suckers are probably tenaciously bound to the paint and have compromised it.

Let us know how you get on, and I trust our other helpful members will be able to contribute some alternatives.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mela18
Getting Established

Thank you for your advice, Mitchell. I went at it today, armed with all tools suggested. Sadly (for me) the high pressure washer only cleaned off mould/dirt. The scrapers worked on the window frames. Only the metal brush worked on the brick. I've attached pics of my small amount of progress. As these suckers and tendrils are across such a large area, I was wondering if some kind of desolvent could work? I just wouldn't know which one to start with. 

Mela18
Getting Established

GridArt_20220830_142133160.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Mela18

Your progress looks great, I understand it's a bit slow going and it feels like you're not making any headway, but this is a great start. Unfortunately, the vine remnants on your wall are already dead and petrified so we can't really spray it with any chemicals. It just might damage the finish on your bricks and window. 

I've seen people use sanders, multi-tools and flame throwers to remove vine remnants and I'm quite positive that what you're using is the safest. I propose doing it section by section one day at a time, you probably want to do it in one go, but the vines are just too well attached. Doing one section at a time gives you time to recover while making progress.  

I reckon that within a week's time the entire area should be nice and clean. We're talking about years of entrenched plant growth, it will take a while to remove them all.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to remove vine remnants on house?

I've previously used a weed burner followed by a palm sander with 100 grit sandpaper to remove those things on brick, it sucked and took ages, but the brick was fine afterwards. Obviously wouldn't work on the metal or ceiling, but would certainly work for the large amount of brick you have. 

Remarka6le
Mela18
Getting Established

Thanks for the support, Eric! As you say, this has been many years in the making and I need to be patient with the progress. If i've accepted that i've had the best result with physical work and a metal brush, my next concern is the amount of white powder/mortar coming off as i do it - am I creating more damage to the brickwork? Will continuing to take the vine remnants off in this way compromise the structural integrity?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Mela18

Think of it as the skin of the house being exfoliated. Removing the exposed layer of the brick will bring back its original lustre, but it's now subject to the effects of the weather. In order to protect the freshly exposed surface, I suggest using a sealer to protect its fresh finish and make it last longer. What you're doing now will not harm the integrity of the bricks, leaving it bare will not damage it either and in time the brick's face will assume its natural weathered finish.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects