Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove carpets and install hybrid flooring from Bunnings?

Beginners_mind
Just Starting Out

How to remove carpets and install hybrid flooring from Bunnings?

Just bought my first home which needs renovating most of the areas. The current state of the property has poor carpets and the kitchen floorboards are coming out. Thought about starting to learn how to do DIY. I have much little time on my hands on the weekend but could spare a couple of hours on the weekend.

How difficult is removing carpet and putting in new hybrid flooring from Bunnings? I live alone so it will be one person DIY. Also it will only be a once of kind of project for the floors.

A couple of friends recommended getting professional and a couple of DIY.

Bed_3.jpgBed_1.jpgBed_2.jpgKitchen_2.jpgKitchen_3.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove carpets and install hybrid flooring from Bunnings?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Beginners_mind. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing carpets and installing hybrid flooring.

Congratulations on your new home! I trust you're excited to make the place your own and have tons of ideas for improving the place.

Removing the carpet and installing hybrid flooring by yourself is achievable with time and some reasonably basic tools. Preparing the floor is likely going to take you a considerable amount of time spread out over several weekends. You'll need to remove the carpet, starting at the edges. You'll find the most difficult part is unhooking the carpet edges from the tack strip. You might find cutting the carpet away easier than trying to unhook it. You could find padded underlay that also will need to be pulled up. Once the carpet and underlay are removed, you can go over the surface and remove any staples or other fixings that could impede the installation of the hybrid flooring. I recommend grabbing a wrecking bar and pincer pliers to remove the carpet tack strips and any staples. Check out this guide: How to remove carpet.

Remember your PPE, including gloves, safety glasses and a dust mask.

Here's a step-by-step guide: How to lay vinyl plank flooring. You might also like to check out this project by @RAW on D.I.Y. hybrid flooring installation.

As someone new to D.I.Y., I would say that removing the carpet and installing the flooring would be a moderately difficult but achievable project for a novice. There is nothing overly technical about the installation, but it would really help speed up the process if you could enlist the help of some friends for several hours. The amount of work could be a little overwhelming for one person. If you do need to complete this work yourself, spread the load over several weekends and perhaps just do one room at a time. 

Remember, we're here with you every step of the way, so reach out if you get stuck or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects