Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to rejuvenate timber floors?

Damian47
Just Starting Out

How to rejuvenate timber floors?

hi there, I have been grappling with hiring sanders or getting someone else to do job. Have had professionals say you can do so much damage to floor if do it yourself. Have chosen to not go down path of sanding and doing properly at the moment out of budget constraints. Wanting to freshen old boards up. Can anyone suggest any products to help revitalise so I can freshen them up but not have expense at moment. Floors have been done with oil in past I think. Possibly water based. Applied approx

20230609_124758.jpg

10years ago and has been rented. Ideas please. I would consider myself handy but weary of tackling this job

20230609_131200.jpg

20230611_160844.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to rejuvenate timber floors?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Damian47. It's splendid to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about rejuvenating timber floors.

There does appear to be wear on the floors, so you are correct in thinking they need a good sand. For the interim, you could look at applying Feast Watson 4L Natural Traditional Timber Oil, which will give them a nourished and darker appearance. The wear and tear will still show through, but I suspect they would look much nicer and will certainly be freshened up. 

However, if you are handy, I'd suggest you give sanding the floors a go. You are correct that damage can be caused, but that is usually done when really coarse sanding belts are used, and you are too aggressive with the amount you take off. In your case, I feel a moderately coarse belt is all that is needed and a relatively light sanding. I'd suggest you do a bit of research on the topic and become familiar with the process. The community is always here to provide advice and guidance for your project. The more you know, the more your confidence will build. Here's a great place to start: How to sand timber floors

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects