Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch large gyprock hole

RichMist
Just Starting Out

How to patch large gyprock hole

I've had a heater removed and now I need to patch the hole left by the flue. What's the best approach here for the inside? Can I patch the gyprock without having a beam behind it or should I cut a larger hole so that it has some beam there? Any tips appreciated!

Thanks

Gyprock Hole.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to patch large gyprock hole

Hello @RichMist

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about patching gyprock. 

If you wish to utilise the existing hole in the roof, why not install an Ezylite 300mm Round Skylight Kit? It's easy to install and built to withstand harsh weather. It's the perfect opportunity for you to let natural light into the area. 

However, if you wish to patch the hole in the ceiling, I suggest using Gyprock CSR 530 x 530 x 10mm Mini Plaster Repair Panel in combination with Gyprock CSR 2.25kg Less Mess Multi-Purpose Joint Compound to cover and repair the hole in the ceiling. 

Place a piece of timber that's slightly bigger than the hole and position it in the centre and screw the ends in place. Trace the size of the hole on the repair panel and cut it carefully so that it fits perfectly into the hole in the ceiling. Screw the repair panel to the piece of timber you placed in the ceiling. Use the joint compound to cover the gap and screw heads. Let the plaster cure and sand down in preparation for painting.

I've placed some images below to give you an idea of how it's done. 

Here is a handy step by step guide: How to fix a hole in a plaster wall

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects