Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a roof?

zaferdog
Just Starting Out

How to paint a roof?

I live in Townsville NQ, where it's hot. We just bought a house that's 20 years old and the roof is still in excellent shape. I have a small section of minor rust coming through on one panel. I want to repaint the roof for longevity and to change the shade to decrease heat absorption. I am unsure of the steps to go, should I sand back the rust section, apply a primer to it, then prime the whole roof, and repaint with a top coat? What paints and coats would you recommend? I like a purely white coating if possible.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to paint a roof?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @zaferdog. We're so pleased to have you join us. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have a project to share - we have helpful and inspiring members sharing advice and inspiration on the site every day.

Could you please let us know what your material your roof is constructed from? A photo or two if you are able to manage it might also be helpful to members to assess the extent of the rust and how best to proceed.

Please take care if you are accessing the roof - we have a guide on How to use ladders safely that you might like to read.  

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Advice Painting my Roof

Hi @zaferdog 

Thanks for sharing your question about painting your roof. We've had a few discussions about roof painting in the community, but every situation is unique. It would definitely help our members if you could post a photo of the rusted area, this will allow them to assess the damage. We can then make recommendations on what paint to use.

Please remember to take all safety precautions when working at height or using a ladder.  

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects