Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to obtain untreated structural Pine or alternative?

daniel4
Having an Impact

How to obtain untreated structural Pine or alternative?

Dear All.

I have been trying to source Untreated Structural Pine here in any Bunnings store near Perth metro, but it looks none of any size is available.

Not sure if this product (any size but prefer 70x45) is still being sold or not.

And wondering if there any restriction that limits the sale of these items?

What is the best alternative option for this timber?

I am thinking to use treated ones, however considering the product that I am going to craft will have high exposure to food, I am a bit concern about the CCA or other preservative products.

Thank you and regards, 

Daniel

daniel4_0-1693364181152.png

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Question about Untreated Structural Pine availability & Alternative

Hello @daniel4 

Interesting. 🤔

I live in regional NSW and last Saturday @ Bunnings - the only untreated pine I could find was 90 X 35 X 2.4m and most of those pieces were not in good condition. I think people had been picking through them over time.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Afternoon @daniel4 

For the item you are building can you have a non treated barrier between the frame and the food items? What type of food will be used on the timber itself? I am trying to think of ways around the problem of sourcing the structual pine you are after is where I am heading.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @daniel4 

Thanks for sharing your question about untreated structural pine. Would it be possible for you to tell us what kind of structure you are building? Once we have an idea of what it is, we'll be able to offer suggestions on another type of timber you can use.

I'll try and contact the other stores in the area and see if they have stock of the timber you are after.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
daniel4
Having an Impact

Thank you @EricL @Dave-1 @Noyade .

I am planning to build a base table that similar to this mobile workbench D.I.Y. Portable Workbench - Bunnings Australia.

As for purpose, I am going to put a Food Display Cabinet on top of this base table, similar to like this as picture below.

Credit image from Nisbet.com.au

Practically, the food will not directly be exposed to the timber. But I believe there is a chance when the person may touch accidentally the base table timber frames while serving the food.

side note: Ideally the base should be made from stainless steel.  

Last week I had chat with some friends who work as volunteers in non-profit community organization, so thinking to help them. 

They already have this top Display Cabinet but looking to have a mobile base cart so the cabinet can be moved easily.  

My thought, rather than to buy a stainless-steel base (perhaps quite expensive), why don't we build it from timbers.

Thanks for any feedback and comments.

daniel4_1-1693444150188.jpeg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @daniel4 

Sounds like a plan. I dont see an issue with using the treated timber and then it being painted or finished with a not treated timber that covers the treated timber. You could look up the food and safety site Food laws for NSW. I am sure theer are others for different states. if you are worried.

The top part looks like the bit that would be a concern for the food rules, the cart you suggest may not be.

Dave

Thank you @Dave-1 

That's a great option to have it painted. I will have a chat again with those friends and see if they are interested with this.

Daniel

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @daniel4

While I was looking through the untreated timber list, I recalled seeing a timber size size that was still present in the store. The 70 x 35mm 0.9m Short Pine Run Of Mill. The only drawback of course is that it only comes in 900mm lengths, but it can be anchored together and when you combine that with 18mm plywood it should make for a very sturdy stand for the food warmer display.

I'm still searching for suitable timber for your project. As soon as I have more information, I'll get back to you.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

daniel4
Having an Impact

Thank you @EricL.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @daniel4,

I'm following up for @EricL, and 70 x 45mm untreated timber is unavailable in your or the surrounding locations. We do have Porta 70 x 45mm 2.4m DAR Rectangle General Purpose Pine, but it comes at a higher cost as a milled and finished timber. If you did decide to use the treated timber, I'd recommend you paint it to prevent any treatment from contacting the servers.

If you were to enclose the sides with 18mm plywood, you wouldn't necessarily require a frame as such. The boards themselves and perhaps some corner bracing timber would suffice. The box you'll be creating will be exceptionally strong. I'll add a rendering I've created for you below to illustrate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Bench.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects