Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount a TV on steel frame walls?

kymmieb82
Getting Established

How to mount a TV on steel frame walls?

I’m wanting to mount three different sized TVs in my new build that has steel frames. Are there TV mounts that are better to mounting to a steel frame instead of a timber frame?

Are there special considerations I need to do to make sure the TVs don’t fall off the wall as one will be a 75”?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to mount a TV on steel frame walls?

Hello @kymmieb82

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about mounting your TV on steel studs.

My only recommendation when choosing a TV mount is to ensure that it has the appropriate weight rating for your TV. I also suggest getting one wide enough to cross between two studs if possible. I recommend having a quick look at this discussion - Mounting large 75" TV to the wall with a steel frame by @eneity

In that discussion, you'll find several recommendations on mounting large TVs to steel studs. I usually recommend mounting a timber panel to go onto the wall and be anchored onto several steel studs. This will allow you to mount the TV mount and it will spread the weight of the TV between the studs instead of being concentrated on single points of contact. 

When it comes to mounting TVs on your wall, I tend to lean towards safety and would recommend using a timber panel even for the smaller TVs.

Please keep us posted with your progress, we look forward to seeing your TV mounted and ready for use.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kymmieb82
Getting Established

Is there a timber panel that Bunnings sells that would be a suggestion to use for a TV on this size with a steel frame?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kymmieb82

I suggest using SpecRite 2400 x 600mm 17mm Plywood Pine Film Faced Non Structural. You can have it cut to the approximate size that you need for each TV. Just keep in mind that the timber panel must cross between steel studs so that the weight of the TV is spread along the studs and not just a single point.

I propose mounting the panel onto the steel studs using Zenith 12G x 65mm Galvanised Hex Head Metal Screws. Please remember to screw in at least 3 screws per steel stud. You can then mount your TV bracket onto the timber panel. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects