Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a timber floor in garage conversion?

tgiuliani
Just Starting Out

How to install a timber floor in garage conversion?

Hello

I'm having trouble finding a timber table for an internal non load bearing floor. Garage conversion, existing slab will be putting a floor in to make a bedroom. Dimensions are 6700mm by 3500mm. Bearers will be 6700 as I want floorboards running in same direction.

Thankyou

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a timber floor in garage conversion?

Hello @tgiuliani 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about installing a timber floor in your garage.

If you are turning the garage into a bedroom, have you considered installing Clip on Hybrid Flooring? This 100% waterproof flooring solution can be installed in high moisture areas including kitchens, laundries and bathrooms. HanWood Home 5mm Hybrid Waterproof Flooring is easy to install with the planks featuring a pre-adhered 1mm foam underlay. 

It does not require framing and can be installed directly onto the floor on the condition that it is flat and level. Can you please tell us why you need to have a frame underneath the flooring? You can still technically use a standard timber table on the condition that it will be built as a single level frame. I suggest having a look at these guides - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W and How to build a deck by @MitchellMc. These guides will give you a very good idea of how to build a frame underneath for timber flooring.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the garage? This will give our members a chance to assess its condition. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - Garage converted into two bedrooms by @richmac

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects