Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix toilet cistern to wall?

i61w
Finding My Feet

How to fix toilet cistern to wall?

Ive recently bought three new toilets from Bunnings and for the life of me i cant work out how the cistern fixes to the wall. It comes with a threaded bar and a metal plate but there's nowhere to fix this to on the toilet itself as far as i can see. The cistern also sits about 20mm from the wall with the pan tight to the wall.

I'd appreciate some help if you can.

Ian

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix toilet cistern to wall?

Hello @i61w 

Before I offer any recommendations, would it be possible for you to post a picture or model number of the toilet set that you purchased? This will give our members a better idea of your toilet's configuration. We can then make recommendations on how to join them together.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
i61w
Finding My Feet

20230406_061239.jpg

20230406_061244.jpg

20230406_061336.jpg

20230406_061422.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @i61w 

Thank you for posting the pictures of your toilet suite. Installing a back to wall toilet suite is not easy, even professional plumbers find it challenging. Adjusting the cistern so that it sits close to the wall requires finesse and experience. 

For example, when the toilet pan is pushed up against the wall, the foam donut seal is then placed in such a way that when the cistern is placed on top it is parallel to the wall. The cistern bolts are then put in and slowly tightened up. If done correctly the cistern will be in alignment with the wall.

The flat plate and long rod are used for holding the S&P adapter (Vario bend) in place while pushing the pan into position. It is important to hold the adapter in place to prevent it from tilting or bending in the wrong direction. The rod must be installed to prevent poor contact with the pan. Otherwise, this will result in a leak and sewer gases will escape into your toilet room.

If time is of the essence, I suggest going to your local store and speaking to the special orders desk regarding toilet installation services

Please note that some states require a registered plumber to install toilet suites. I suggest checking your local council's rules and regulations before you begin.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects