Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix rising damp in brick wall?

krystie1983
Just Starting Out

How to fix rising damp in brick wall?

Hi, 

I have rising damp in quiet a few walls in my business, I have tried the additives you put in paint n it hasn't worked I was just wondering if there was something I could do to fix the problem. As I can not afford to have my shop shut, as you can see in the pictures it's getting to the point it's bubbling the paint.

17146235131386162748663503474514.jpg

17146235732966930047965490331189.jpg

17146236028282568089781165695621.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: rising damp in brick walls

Hello @krystie1983 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about rising damp in your brick walls.

It is difficult to tell where the water is coming from inside your wall. It could be a leaking pipe or natural moisture draining into your brick wall from the soil on the other side. Technically the proper way to repair it is to seal it from the other side to prevent anything from flowing into the brick.

However, if access to the other side is not possible, I can only suggest using Dunlop 4L Damp-Proof Waterproofing. It is an acrylic brush-on membrane, Dunlop Damp-Proof Waterproofing will prevent rising damp, efflorescence and will resist negative hydrostatic pressure.

I suggest scraping all the paint off the brick wall before using the sealer.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects