Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix particleboard table leg?

Samnet
Cultivating a Following

How to fix particleboard table leg?

Hi guys,

I really need help with fixing my office table leg.

It's a very heavy particle board and I was about to move it then a chunk of it with screw in it, came off(photos attached)

Not I can't install the leg back

Any suggestions would be really appreciated

Thanks

Sam

16908495967575656987909478158992.jpg

16908496408932819225195392415860.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix particleboard table leg?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Samnet. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing your particle leg board.

I suggest using Selleys 100g Liquid Nails Construction Adhesive. The general steps to repair the leg is to clean the location of the damage of debris and loose particles with a stiff brush. Once it is clean you can now put on some liquid nails. Spread the adhesive only on one side of the damage, once it has been spread, reposition the the broken piece back into its original position.

To keep pressure on the timber piece so that it adheres properly, I recommend using a Trojan F clamp. I suggest slowly tightening the clamps over the broken piece so that it sinks in back into position. Please don't tempted to apply too much pressure as this will break the timber piece even further.

Let me call on our experienced member @JoeAzza and @Dave-1 for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Afternoon @Samnet 

Bugger... And probarly a few more Id say. As @EricL has suggested liquid nails would be my first choce to reattach the broken bit. I wouldnt be reusing that fastening point tho even with the liquid nails and a clamp to secure it in place. Can you take an overall picture of where it stands/attached to? You may need to drill a new hole and install a new fastener as that type of chipboard  once broken really dosnt like being repaired (Have had a few desks at work go the same way) They look great and may survive one move, possibly two but never three moves. 

Id see how close the piece fits back into the hole it came from. If its close then some liquid nails. Then clamp it (making sure to wipe excess liquid nails up straight away) I have used builders wood putty to repair laminated timber before (Builders Bog)  and it has worked. You can drill it and sand it even but it wont look like the top of the piece. 

Will wait and see if you can take a photo then maybe figure a way to re-attach the leg.

Dave

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Samnet All good suggestions from @EricL  and @Dave-1 , I am suggesting that after the part has been re glued in position, I would use a larger surface area table leg mounting plate that would hold the table legs more securely, see attached Bunnings website

https://www.bunnings.com.au/adoored-3-8-vertical-leg-plate-2-pack_p0101571?store=6083&gbraid=0AAAAAD...

Samnet
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @Dave-1 and @EricL 

Yes I assume I can't use the fastening point as well. But really worried about alignment between the new whole with drill and the other side on the leg. It was really hard to install this leg with these types of screws

16908705480118363818303998181243.jpg

1690870587968686217011962501318.jpg

Samnet
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @JoeAzza 

But not sure how to use this with this type of screws ans fasteners. I sent the overall pic of the the broken area and the legs. Can you please let me know, how to use it with you suggestions?

Thanks

Sam

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Samnet 

Now that I've seen the rest of the table, I suggest using Zenith 63mm Zinc Plated Angle Brackets to support the broken panel. I also recommend using larger screws such as Zenith 8G x 25mm Countersunk Gold Rib Head Chipboard Screws. Just make sure to double check that it's not too long and that it will stay within the thickness of table panels.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Samnet
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @EricL 

You mean I need to use the glue first then use the plated angels to support it? I need to make sure this screw from the leg goes properly into the top

16908739672423669253288959772241.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Samnet 

Yes that's exactly what you'll need to do. The reason for the angle brackets is that the leg panel is no longer strong and secure. The glue will hold it in place, but it will not be as strong as before. Adding the angle brackets will add extra strength and prevent the panel from bending again.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let me know.

Eric

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @Samnet 

I like @EricL 's idea of the bracket. I would still glue that piece back in but loose the bolt as structully it wont be strong. The angled bracket would use a few screws to fasten it to the top of the table.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects