Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix loose anchors for clothesline in brick wall?

Bronski
Finding My Feet

How to fix loose anchors for clothesline in brick wall?

Hi! I’ve just installed the Hills compact folding clothes line on my brick wall and 3 out of 4 of the anchor connections are loose.

When drilling the holes of those loose 3, the drill bit went through the holes inside the brick (10 hole bricks) and when inserting the sleeve anchors (m8 x 70) they couldn’t fully tighten.

Now that I’ve put it all up, those 3 bolts will not fully tighten to the wall and the connection is loose. The fourth bolt missed the holes in the brick and tightened fine.

Is it because the drilled holes open up into the cavity in the bricks and the sleeve anchors can’t get enough grip? Or is it just coincidence and I’ve drilled the hole too big or crooked etc?

Is there any way to fix this other than ripping it all out and starting again? Even some kind of glue to stick the brackets to the wall?

The anchors are m8 x 70 and I’ve uploaded a pic trying to explain where I felt the drill went through inside the brick. It just broke through the second row as I got to my depth marker.

I’ve also added pics of the connections

6E311A9F-D2C9-4287-B733-E27F6F9924D7.jpeg

A640762B-0384-46F2-8801-385BF063AA02.jpeg

EA63AA88-1AFC-4FC2-BCEB-733CB4ABD9F6.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix loose anchors for clothesline in brick wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bronski, and thanks for joining in the discussion. I'm sure you'll find that our wonderful members are sharing helpful advice and inspiring projects on the site every day. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. 

As our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts are taking a break at the moment, let me tag ever-helpful members such as @Jewelleryrescue@MikeTNZ@Brad  and @TedBear to see if they could share how they would go about tackling your problem. 

Looking forward to seeing you address the issue. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

If you can remove the anchors I would use

concremate 

I have seen the demo at Trade Expo and I was impressed by it.

I would do one fixing at a time to try to avoid weight squeezing the compound out of the anchors.

Cheers @Brad! So I would pull the anchor out fill the hole with concremate then put the anchor back in? How long do you recommend I wait between each one?

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I would pull one anchor and coat it with enough cemment to take up the clearance in the hole and put it back in loose, wait an hour before tightening.

Filling the hole and redrilling would be my last option.

Thanks! Much appreciated

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon @Bronski 

"sleeve anchors (m8 x 70)"

Maybe I'm not appreciating this type of anchoring system, but I thought I should see the bolt ends in your photos? And they're not nuts.

Are you using concrete bolts with washers?

Concrete.PNG20230105_134138.jpg

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Bronski,

When using semi-hollow bricks, you must have bolts through the bricks to the other side, with at least a 50mm wide x 100mm flange plate on the other side.

Couple this with M10 Galv bolts to protrude at least 20mm, yes they will need to be 200-250mm long, also use ny-lock nuts on the bolts.

Don't over-tension the bolts, just enough to hold the whole thing in place.

Provided you do this, it should be all good.

Cheers,

Mike T.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Bronski,

I see you've received several pieces of advice here, and can understand that it's likely starting to get a bit confusing.

Your Dynabolt is expanding within the cavity and unable to grip into solid material. My recommendation would be to remove the bolts, fill the entire cavity with Ramset 300ml Chemset UltraFix Plus and re-insert the bolts. Tighten them slightly once inserted. Wait for the glue to cure before tightening down the bolts completely. Alternatively, you can switch the bolts out for shorter ones that will grip the rear face of the brick cavity, as per the image below and Ramset's specifications for hollow blockwork.

I, too, am a fan of Concremate as per @Brad's suggestions and also was suitably impressed with the demonstration. However, unless you can pipe it into the cavity and fill the void, I'm not sure whether it will stand up to the loads applied to a clothesline. @Noyade has mentioned Ankascrews, which would likely grip into the front wall of the brick. They'd work better than a Dynabolt that is trying to grip in a void. Once again, though, I'm not sure whether they'd strip out the front face, and I'd recommend you glue them in place if you were going to go that route. If you can access the rear side of the wall then @MikeTNZ's advice would certainly lead to a well-fixed clothesline.

Please let us know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

"@Noyade has mentioned Ankascrews,"

I was just trying to ascertain what @Bronski has used. I thought it looked like a concrete bolt or Ankascrew (the correct term?).

I always thought a Dynabolt was an exposed threaded bolt that used a nut to lock down on - so your diagram above is a new product to me.

Thanks.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects