Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix and paint gyprock wall?

foxhound
Growing in Experience

How to fix and paint gyprock wall?

Hi, I used a heavy duty double sided tape to mount picture lights but unfortunately it didn't last and the lights fall off scraping paint and the top surface/layer of gyprock wall. 

Pictures attached for reference.

Looking for easy DIY solutions to fix and paint this wall. I am not very well versed in DIY jobs and may need detailed context along with the materials to use. The house is newly constructed and i have some paint which the builder left for us. 

20230625_072742.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Paint fix on Gyprock wall.

Hi @foxhound,

You'll need to start by removing any of the loose paper. It might help to go around the perimeter of the damage and cut through the paper with a retractable knife. You can then peel the edges of the paper back to the straight cuts. Once the paper is removed, you'll need to fill the area with a thin coat of Poly 510g Interior Skim Coat Filler. This can be applied with a scraper and only needs to be the thickness of the removed paper. This ensures that there is no depression left where the paper has been removed and brings the area flush with the surrounding wall. The next step is to sand the filler with a Paint Partner Cork Sanding Block  and 240 grit sandpaper. Sand only the damaged area, just enough to remove any filler that is proud of the surrounding wall.

You'll then be able to prime the area and repaint it.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides: 

Remember your PPE, including gloves, a face mask and safety glasses. Also, make sure to cut away from your hands.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
foxhound
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitch,

When you say loose paper do you mean the paint ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's the one, @foxhound. What's happened is that the thin paper coating of the plasterboard has also been torn away from the board. So it's not just paint but paper as well. Regardless, just remove all the loose material/paint that's coming away from the wall.

Mitchell

foxhound
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitch,

I have followed the steps and applied the paint but the patch on the wall looks shinier than the rest. Anyway i can blend it in  completely with the rest of the wall ? Paint which I used is 100% correctly matched.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @foxhound 

I suggest giving the paint time to acclimate. Since you've used the exact colour match for your wall paint, it just needs time to weather a bit. Given enough time the sheen on the new surface will disappear and your wall patch should blend in nicely.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

This is probably admitting how dumb I am and poor advice to-boot - but my son has to move out of a flat and he used those 3M adhesive hooks, which the real estate insisted upon, only to discover every one came crashing down with a painting attached at all times of the day.

I thought I'd just apply a very thin layer of filler and paint. To my horror, when the job was done, I discovered I had used Selleys Allfix as a filler.

But amazingly, it seems to have worked? The paint was computer matched from a small shaving.

20230607_104955.jpg

I know uploaded photos can be deceptive, but....

20230615_125757.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to fix and paint gyprock wall?

@foxhound 

Ouch is my first thought. Second is pretty much what @MitchellMc and @EricL  have said.

I have had paint peeling before taht I repaired and it looked very much like your tear (Mine wasnt paper tearing but moisture flaking a bad paint job and how to smooth the repai in)

Laundy retrofit is my project where I repaired the ceiling paint.

Hope it helps to show how easy it is (well a lot of sanding) but still easy

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects