Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix anchors too loose in brick wall?

CassM
Just Starting Out

How to fix anchors too loose in brick wall?

1000003531.jpg

Hi, I tried to install a Daytek clothesline onto my brick wall using the Dynabolts suggested but even though I drilled 8mm holes for 8mm bolts the anchors are loose and are being pulled out by the weight of the clothesline. 

My brother in law suggested using Ankabolts and they do look easier but the 8mm ones are too wide to fit through the mounting brackets. 6mm ones fit but are obviously too narrow for the drilled holes. Is there something I can use to make the 6mm bolts fit in 8mm holes? 

Thanks for your help! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Anchors too loose in brick wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @CassM. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a clothesline.

Are you able to remove the bracket and pull out the offending Dynabolt? If so, I'd recommend you then fill the hole to the brim with Ramset 300ml Chemset UltraFix Plus and re-insert the Dynabolt. Pop the bracket back on, but only finger-tighten the nut. Wait 45 minutes and then tighten a couple of revolutions of the nut, but do not tighten it fully. Wait another couple of hours and tighten the nut further. This allows the glue time to set whilst expanding the Dynabolt inside the wall. You'll effectively glue it into position. This is super-strong glue designed for this purpose.

This issue you are experiencing is due to these being hollow bricks. When the Dynabolt expands inside the wall, there is nothing to hold it in place. Typically, you might get lucky and hit solid material, but most of the time, at least one will fail as it expands into a void. This glueing method is likely the best option to try at the moment. If that doesn't work, let us know, and we'll move on to the next option, which will likely be moving the holes and using the Ankabolts in fresh material.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects